Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sloooooooow PC

• Please log in to reply

Tomcat71

Tomcat71

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi

For the first time, :) I have to ask for help for my own PC Problems. :)
I screw around with computers since 25 years and found always a way to fix my problems.
But now..... formating and start over again would be the only solution I have left for my PC.

I checked the PC with following programs:
Spybot S+D 1.4
Security Task Manager 1.6f
CWShredder 2.19
AntiVir PE Classic 7.0
BHODemon 2.0
SmitRem
Ewido Security Suite
Panda online scan

But nothing, some cockies, some minor viruses - just normal computer live (a PC without a virus or some cockies is not connected to the web).
But anyway, it takes a long time to boot and if i click a program even longer to open it. I can see the HD working and working.
But if I play some games, they run fine once they are open.
It's just to open any kind of program or trying to go online, it takes time. it looks like the PC is frozen, but the led's are blinking.
I checked the prozesses - between 30 and 33 that's all - nothing unusual.

Has anybody an idea what else I should check? :tazz:
I have 4 more PC's and they are all fine.
The problem PC is the #1 from my profile.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Have you tried the simple programs like disk defragmentator and chkdsk? If not give that a go, I'm suprised at the problems that has fixed for me even when I cant think of a way to link that fix with the problem. Give them a go.

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
just checking, but you have run defrags n the physical drives where the apps are installed, right?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

go to system and applications, look for RED Xs

I am willing to bet that you see BAD BLOCK references to a harddrive

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Spec's on the puter would help here. How much memory are you running. I suspect you have at least 512 so i am discounting that. In your processes how much of your memory is being used? If it is near the amount of memory you have the OS must be using the swap file to load the programs. Have you checked your event viewer to see if there are services that are getting errors? Bad drivers( incorrect or older than what you need for your programs) could be causing this problem. You should not have any kind of virus on your computer at all. I don't understand you statement about 4 more PC's. are they different systems or do you have 4 profiles on one computer. If it is only one profile causing the problem, look in what you are running in that profile that is different than the rest of the profiles. t may be that you need a BIOS upgrade to run what you want on the computer, but i think not since it loads the OS slowly.

I had a slow computer that would take forever to boot up because the video drivers were the wrong ones. When i deleted the old drivers and installed newer drivers the next boot really speeded up.

SRX660

Tomcat71

Tomcat71

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank's for your response

@SuperSam and BabyTech
Yes, I did it, several times, but nothing.

@gerryf
Yes, I found some red x's. Related to not responding programs (6 x's this year). Nothing to worry for me. Happens sometimes if I shut down without closing a program at first.
But I got a whole bunch of yellow warnings "Windows saved user registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off"

@SRX660
The last sentence from my post was "The problem PC is the #1 from my profile", you just had to click on my user name.

But, yes I have 1 Gb RAM and there are still 650MB left (FreeRamXP Pro 1.51)
So far, I try to stay up to date with my drivers and windows updates.

My problem started approx. 2 month ago, from one day to another. I think it has something to do with the web access, because last night I changed my firewall from Systemsuite 6 to Zonealarm and blocked at first all access. Than I granted some programs access from which I know that I can trust them.
Booting the PC became know way faster, but opening programs is still very slow. It takes up to 20 seconds before I see some activity after double clicking the program.

4 more PC's:
That means, I have 4 more computers. All of them rum with win XP SP2 and have between 1 and 2 GB RAM.
All of them run the same background programs (antivir,spybot,ad-aware and so on). All of them have been stripped down to Windows and up-to-date drivers. That means, I removed all the "try my first" programs which come pre-installed with every new PC.

You said: You should not have any kind of virus on your computer at all.
SmitRem = to find malware, will be recognized as a virus form Panda online check.
Ad-aware = to remove adaware, will be recognized as adware from Spybot.
Ghost-surf will be recognized as spyware from Ewido.
And so on.

Even my security task manager calls my anti virus program and Adobe Acrobat Pro a high risk threat, because they have one common characteristic, they are hidden programs.

You have to see it like a fire fighter, fire is bad, but some times.......do you have to use fire to fight fire.
Some programs have the signature of a virus or malware, but they are not bad. :)

I'm still new to this forum, that means a lot stuff to read, maybe I'll find something which is going to help me.
I'll let you guys know. :tazz: