Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

overclocking a p4 3.0GHz cpu

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
im trying to overclock my intel pentium 4 531 3.0GHz proccesor
im using the software that came with my motherboard i have a gigabyte GA-8ipe775-g motherboard on the driver cd it had a program called easy tune 5 (u may have heard of it) im using this to overclock my cpu when i need it i mostly do it for when im editing dvd's just to get more performance out of (is this wise?)
the problem is when i try to overclock it to 3.6 GHz easy tune freezes and the comp restarts is this case im going to far or is it the program trying to protect my cpu by not going to far but how can i stop this from happining

the reason i am using this program and not going through the bios is becasue i dont really need it all the time i only want it for when im editing

your advice would be greatly appreciated :tazz:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
a rule of thumb for overclocking is usually 10 %. The reason for this is that overclocking usually also up the fsb, and memory timing. This causes problems when the other hardware cant keep up. Intel's are harder to overclock as they are processor locked to a speed. the only way to increase the speed is by overclocking the front side bus. I do like Gigabytes features and also Biostars features that let you overclock.

You may find that you really cant go above 3.2 G on the processor speed. I have a intel 3.0 that always crashed if i went above 3.2. Thats not enough to justify the overclock in my book.

SRX660

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
using easy tune i have got it up to just over 3.4 which is not bad thast about 15% is it really worth it theres no overheating probs but is it worth it for dvd editing or is it wasted time (not that it takes much)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I really don't think its worth the effort. I have a AMD 2400 that burns just as fast as my Intel 3.0. Both have the same dvd-rw, memory, and HD's. The only difference is the intel is on a 865 intel MB, and the AMD is on a Biostar M7ncd pro. Both burn a dvd almost exactly the same amount of time. It still takes 20-30 minutes to burn a full dvd using Nero 7 Ultra.

SRX660

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
thanks for the advice i didnt think that it would be worth it but its just a thought thanks,
troppo

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
but also would it be better for Analysing but not for burning i use DVD shrink to compress the dvd would it be better and be faster casue it takes a while (bout an hour for the whole procces)

just another thought :tazz: