Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

boot.ini help...

• Please log in to reply

angel pimp

angel pimp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok heres the newly found problem i have found... lol

ok i have 3 harddrives

c: my oldest and main os one most used 40 gig winxp
e: my second oldest has xp also installed on this just in case c fails (80 gig)
d: my newest 200 gig no os installed

now heres the problem the boot ini is saved on c when i boot i see the screen of the multi bot options and all that but if c hits the bucket and stops working completely will i still be able to boot from e seeing as the pc cant access c to get the boot list! is there away to save it to both harddrives so if c is removed it will still all work
because i am slightly worried that c might kick it soon as it is getting old...

thank you tech guys

Advertisements

angel pimp

angel pimp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ohh i forgot to mention the os on E was installed while booted from c so i booted then did and advanced install

might be important but im not sure... thx a bunch

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the answer is no....in addition to boot.ini, there are several other files, an MBR, and a boot sector that are all critical for XP to load.

Now, can you get it to load... hmmm

I think that if you moved the Windows to the first drive spot and ran a repair, you could probably repair windows to load, as the repair might write the proper boot info, but all your programs would still be pointing to E:, which is not desireable

What you would need to do is replace the current C: drive with another drive, install and OS, then run a windows xp repair, which would recreate those settings and files. That would definitely work.

You can probably get a away with moving the D drive into the primary master slot, and running a repair, even without an OS installed on the D drive (now C).

I have not encountered a situation where I had to do this, but I am reasonably certain those of those two would work