Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Manager

• Please log in to reply

khersee

khersee

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
When I try to access the Task Manager I get this message: "Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator". What could have caused this? Also, when I right click on the task bar, the Task Manager option is grayed out. Kirk

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
HERE is Microsoft's answer to your problem. :tazz:

khersee

khersee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
20060201_191825.jpg Unortuanately, my computer can't find the "Gpedit.msc" file as per the attached pic.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
windows xp home does not include gpedit because it does not support group policy--supposedly.

Unfortunately, group policies can still affect xp home

Odds are you have a malware infection that altered the registry to prevent you from killing it.

if you can open regedit
start > run
regedit
<enter>

navigate to here

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\{7CFE4AFD-82D6-4A90-AD60-7F040463A15B}User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

in the right pane, delete
DisableTaskMgr

khersee

khersee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I don't seem to have a Group Policy Objects in this address. I get to Current Version and the rest isn't there. Kirk

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hi there try going to start > run and type this in:

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Let me know if this worked, goodluck :tazz:

khersee

khersee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Oh thank you very much. Awesome. Any idea how I could have done that to begin with? It seems as though you'd have to know what you were doing. Anyhoo, thanks again. Kirk

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You just need toknow how to add/alter reg lines from the commandline. You just pick it up