Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having TOO much?

• Please log in to reply

xdeeliciouzx

xdeeliciouzx

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Is there such a thing as having TOO much?

Currently, I have Norton, AVG, Ewido, SpyBot, Ad-Aware, Spyware Doctor, & Spyware Blaster.

My computer seems to be okay but should I not have so many programs? Are there any I should delete or ones I should download?

I'm just a bit scared one might interfere with another - leaving something open & able to be corrupted.

Suggestions & comments are greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

:tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
AV progs interfere with each other so you can only run one at a time, get rid of norton, avg, or ewido and pick one AV(personally ild go for Avast free better than both mcaffee and norton and its on par with AVG and ewido but it looks much better). Anti spyware you can have more than one so spyware blaster and ad aware are fine together.

xdeeliciouzx

xdeeliciouzx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you very much!

I've never heard of Avast but then again when it comes to topics of this kind I'm rather blank.

I'll take your word for it though!

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Actually, belay that. Give me a few minutes to explain myself, but dont uninstall anything.

ScHwErV :tazz:

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
There is definately too much of a good thing when you talk about antivirus programs.

First, you have 2 antivirus programs listed. Norton and AVG. AVG is one of, if not the best, free antivirus programs available.

Then you have active antimalware programs. Ewido, Spyware Doctor, AdAware and Spybot. Of the 4, Ewido is way more capable of dealing with newer infections. The other 3 are just duplication of efforts, however they do not hurt anything. You can remove them.

SpywareBlaster is good, as is SpywareGuard (both from javacoolsoftware). I do recommend picking the other one up and keeping spywareblaster.

Hope that helps.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Krizniak

Krizniak

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

...(personally ild go for Avast free better than both mcaffee and norton and its on par with AVG and ewido but it looks much better)

I personally find Avast painful : it really make IO operations slowers, and the system is seriously in a bad state when Avast install AVdatabase updates.
Perhaps is it only the case with my old pentium III computer...

What do you think about BitDefender ? They also have an online scan engine Bitdefender online scan (http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html) and the virus definitions are quite quickly available...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its all right i still prefer Avast ive tried all the AVs pretty much and it was the one that performed best and offered the whole package, it can cause a stutter when it updates but even nod32 did that and its the best, you only notice it if your running something demanding. I usually use the trend online scanner when i do an online scan.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
How many times I have gotten myself into trouble for suggesting having a simply easy to reinstall computer not connected to your network acting as a rooter, then have a rooter too. If something goes wrong then just reformat(after doing the checks suggested here), the rooter has your internet connection ready and it all only takes a short time to be back to new again. In fact, more and more I begin to feel that my computer is a little 40gb harddrive which I carry around on me, the others, whether they are at work, home or in the internet cafe are all just acess points to me. In fact, I don't have any antivirus, I don't download mails(looking them up on site) with firefox browser.

And yes I agree that this may not quite be what the poster is asking but I hope it offers an alternative idea to going for more and more antivirus stuff.