Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my computer won't let me connect to any servers?

• Please log in to reply

mattdude

mattdude

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I got comcast internet last week. I am having problems installing downloads.
I downloaded spybot search and destroy, when it goes to the update server I get an error:

Error retrieving update info file!
Socket error#11004.

I downloaded two poker programs. The icons are on my desktop, but when I try to set them up it says:

Unable to establish network connection to server

and

Cannot connect to master download server

I guess my computer won't let me connect to any other servers. I don't know any thing about this sort of thing, so I would be greatful for any help.

Thanks,
Matt

Edited by mattdude, 01 February 2006 - 10:18 PM.

Advertisements

ejay563

ejay563

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
HI,

How do you connect to the internet? Dial-up, or broadband, and do you have any other computers you can try this sort of thing with?

~ejay563

mattdude

mattdude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I use a cable modem, this is the only computer hooked up the internet right now.

ejay563

ejay563

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
OK, here are a couple of things i suggest you try.

First of all, make sure any security software isn't interfering with the programs that are trying to connect to servers. I know that Norton Internet security will stop things like that from connecting to servers. You may also want to check the windows firewall to make sure that's not interfering either. Try temporarily disabling all security software, and see if that helps.

If not, then the next step I would take would be to try another computer, which you know works, and see if the same thing happens. If it does, then your router may have a firewall, or something with your ISP is interfering, and you would have to get in contact with them.

goodluck!

~ejay563

By the way, welcome to geekstogo!

Edited by ejay563, 02 February 2006 - 11:46 PM.

mattdude

mattdude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I will try that. Thank you very much for your help!