Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Magical Google icon

• Please log in to reply

sayit

sayit

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Maybe someone can explain this to me or suggest a fix? After opening Windows xp Pro everything seems normal. All my desktop icons display normally. I do a little browsing or maybe work on a file. Some time later I return to the desktop and lo and behold the Google icon has converted from its normal icon (capital G ) into a windows icon with the letter e in front of a folder. This happens intermittently. Any ideas on this matter. Thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Windows stores that favorite icon in the temporary internet file section...the icon on your desktop or in your favorites remains until windows clears the icons out (or you do).

People who reduce the size of the temp internet cache in internet properties will lose those icons more quickly

sayit

sayit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the advise gerryf. My temp int. files aren't near the volume of the 4500MB capacity. Without altering anything on the computer the google icon appears and then converts to the windows icon without any prompting. One second its there, I browse, return to the desktop and the icon has changed. Ignore it and return later only to observe the Google icon is back properly displayed. Its caught my interest, alright.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You can save these things called favicons.ico to a folder on your desktop and then point your links back to them if you like with the caveats that

a) since each site uses the favicon name, you need to save each of these in a separate folder somewhere else and then point back to them

sayit

sayit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the follow-up gerryf. I'm just curious as to how or why this takes place, to just one icon. The others are stabilized with no problems. This chameleon icon sure is generating my interest. Thanks

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hey guys,,, just browsing thru the forum and this one caught my eye !!!!
I dont have a fix,,,, i have the same problem,, but with my yahoo mail icon on the desktop ?
It keeps changing back and forth between the yahoo icon and the windows icon.