Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My DVD ROM isn't detected by my computer...

• Please log in to reply

celcius

celcius

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi!... Dunnow what is going on with my computer... :tazz:

I have 2 DVD burners on my machine, one detected (E drive) and one not detected (D drive). The curious thing about it is that when I boot my machine, it's detected in the bios but the minute office starts, it disapears. So seeing that, i'm sure everything's plugged correctly.

I even found the firmware related to my ghost DVD burner, tried to install it and the firmware told me that it doesn't detect my dvd .

I really need my computer to detect this drive... it's driving me crazy... PLease help! :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how are the drives hooked up? are they jumpered correctly? are they on the cables in the right order? are they both on the same ide cable? right click on my computer > mangage > device manager...do you see the drive in there? any yellow ? or !

celcius

celcius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Alright... I've checked in the device manager and it sees the dvd burner. It's not activated and when i try to activate it, computer says: Burner not activated, code 22, windows was unable to activate it.Basically, I see it but I can't use it. :tazz: By the way, in the device manager, there is a big red X over my ghost dvd burner.

What to do next? I'm listening to you ohh great dsenette!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you answer the rests of my question?

also..what do you mean by ghost dvd burner?

celcius

celcius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
By ghost, I mean that it exist but it's not detected... Anyway...

The undetected dvd burner is hooked up as a Master and yes, the cables are in the right order on the same 12branch cable. I think that resumes the situation.

What I don't understant is that iut's detected, it exists but the system don't want to activate it. The brand of the burner is:

LG-GSA-4160B

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that big red x means that something is wrong with the device...

do you know how your drives are jumpered? the one on the end of the cable should be jumpered as master..and the other should be as slave

celcius

celcius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
the one at the end is actually the slave. I'll correct that. What else could be wrong?

celcius

celcius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
it's plugued as a slave. What should I do now?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
still the same status in windows?

celcius

celcius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Solution found!

It was actually quite simple. :)

In the end, the unfunctionnal DVD Writer was plugged as a slave. What I did was going into the control panel and in the device manager.

Afgter that, I've clicked the malfunctionning device, properties and uninstall. After uninstalling the device, I've rebooted my computer and it was automatically detected and now it'and it sees the dvd burner and everything is working fine.

BTW, THNX to dsenette, I found the solution by myself but you game me great cues! :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
congratulations! glad you could find it...sorry that i didn't get to that step yet hehe...the two pillars of pc repair: #1 turn it off...turn it back on..better? #2 uninstall the sucker and reinstall it