Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Ware Recognision Problems

• Please log in to reply

Pedhimself

Pedhimself

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Recently i purchaced a Hard drive to install and work as an extra HD along side my existing one. The reason for this is for the storage of Music & Photo's.

THe current hard drive is 40Gb and i'm running Windows Xp (Hard Drive C:).

I have bought a 120Gb (Western Digital WD1200 IDE HD ,made in sept 03) HD to work along side.

Everytime i install it as a slave it pops up as new hardware but i'm not able to see it on My Computer (should i?) and i'm unable to use it how i want........

I dont know that because my pc has somehow created a seperate partition of 7Mb (Local Disk
F:) if this can affect it. F Drive is there through C Drive as it was there b4 i bought the new Hard drive.

I'm unable to install it as a Master either & i have tried pretty much all the pin configurations on the back.

Can someone help me with this problem? Or tell me if i can change over all my operating system, Programs, and files onto the new HD without any hassle & loss of anything?

Cheers

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
to answer the first question, did you partition format the drive?

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose MANAGE, choose DISK MANAGEMENT, select the drive, right click, choose format if you did not.

Your computer will not show it as a drive if it is not partitioned and formatted

To answer the second question, yes, you can, depending on how much you want to invest, work at it.

There are free tools around, but by far the easiest way to handle this is to install a program like Ghost or Acronis True Image. For the latter, it is as simple as picking CLONE, then following the menus and choosing proportional, which will copy the first disk to the second, then expand the partition. Takes all of 15 minutes

Once complete, remove drive 1, put drive 2 in its slot, and all is happy, but note, the drive must be set to master when you insert it in place of 1

Why cannot you set it as master? Because you are sharing the cable with another drive?