Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

home network problem

• Please log in to reply

livanel

livanel

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

Would you please give me some help?

I have a home network problem. The network is made by 2 computers Pentium 4 Windows XP, one laptop and the other desktop, connected with a D-Link DI-604 router. From the desktop I can see the shared partitions C, D and CD/DVD on the laptop. However, from the laptop I can see the desktop’s root, but I can access only one hard disk, G, which is alone on a RAID controller. I cannot access the partitions C and D on the normal IDE, CD/DVD and even the USB printer attached to the desktop. When I tried to open them I get:

“ \\Principal\C is not accessible. You might not have permission this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission.
Not enough server storage is available to process this command.”

It’s not a sharing/security problem because I verified and all the disks on the desktop have the same sharing/security configuration (allowing nearly everything), so the same on G as on the C and D. Actually, some weeks ago, from the laptop I was able to access all the disks and the printer on the desktop. This network problem happened after doing some maintenance on the desktop: cloning my old hard disk containing the C and D partitions, to a bigger one; change XP from SP1 to SP2; some other Registry changes made with PConPoint; new antivirus; new anti-spy.

To solve this network issue I removed the fire wall on both computers (nothing changes), I increased IRPStackSize on the laptop from 11 to 14, created IRPStackSize (value 15) on the desktop (this just made my desktop much slower; tried to improve it with PConPoint without success), run WinsockXPFix.exe on both computers (nothing improved). BTW, in the Registry, in the location of the IRPStackSize, on the laptop I have as well a CachedOpenLimit which is not on the desktop. Should I create it?

This kind of basic network should be easy to make and solve any issue. I don’t understand what happened. So please, do you have any other ideas how to solve this issue?

Many thanks,
Liviu
[font=Tahoma][size=7]

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've got a similar issue here at work...still trying to figure the sucker out...i'm suspecting my fiber rack...but..i have no idea yet....so..sorry...no suggestions..but..if you find an answer PLEASE post it hehe

livanel

livanel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I just got it. On the desktop I increased the IRPStackSize from 15 to 22, as described in the last message at:
http://www.pcreview....read-232342.php
Now I will play around with this value to see what is more stable. This is because the desktop is very slow to open any application and when I want to open Registry Mechanic I get an error: “General extraction error Location IMP1”
Liviu

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the true kb says to up the number by intervals of 3

livanel

livanel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Finaly I use the value 16. This is the smallest which fixes my network.
It seems to work better. I don't know if the increase by intervals of 3 is a must. It doesn't seem to be.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no it doesn't seem to be at all..the default for xp is 15..so you only increased by 1