Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connections Agent

• Please log in to reply

kalyhan

kalyhan

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Is anyone familiar with the Compaq Connections Agent? Is this something I can disable without
issue? I'm running Win XP on a brand new Presario SR1720NX.

The PC is locking up when I try to install Java updates. I've had issues in the past with Compaq-grown tools and I see that this connections agent is constantly running in the background.

Suggestions??

Thank You!

Advertisements

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
My first sudgestion to anyone who just bought a brand new factory built computer from Dell, HP, Compaq, or Sony. Whipe the drive and reinstall windows. *laughs* Just way too much junk that they put on there that you don't need. Already bogs your system down. But...if you don't want to go through the hassel of that. Then go to start and to run and type in ms config. Then click on the startup tab at the top. There shouldn't be too many things in there. Uncheck any compaq ones or .exe programs you simply don't care about having at startup. You could even dissable everything. Be careful with that though....if you dissable everything in startup any antivirus or antispyware programs that are already installed will not run at startup.

Note: Compaq preinstalled programs often have an HP at the begining since they are owned and opperated by hewlitt packard these days. So all compaq programs are HP related.

kalyhan

kalyhan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Couldn't agree more!! If I knew a great deal more, I would disable everything just about. I definately want to disable all of HP/Compaq "garbage" that is not necessary to running Win XP.

Are you familiar with the Connections Agent specifically? What is it's purpose?

Thanks again!

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I'm not intimately familiar with it, I'm sure someone else around here could tell you exactly what it does inside and out. What I do know about it, is that it has something to do with the ISP providers already installed on your computer. Either that or it monitors your network connections to make sure everything is running...trouble is....windows already does that better. So it's mostly an anoyance and a slow down. I do know....you don't need it....and most people wouldn't want it if they knew it was there.