Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player 9 Problem in 2000

• Please log in to reply

G Dogg

G Dogg

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have a problem that I think started after I installed Sygate Personal Firewall. Although, I'm really not sure if that is when it truly began.

I have Windows Media Player 9 installed. I have Windows 2000.

Anytime I try play videos online, I get the error in the topic description: "windows media player cannot play file because a network error occurred." It then tells me to check my network settings to make sure I am connected to the internet. I check everything and definitely am always on the internet while trying to view these files on the internet.

I thought maybe it was a problem with the video host whose videos I was trying to view, but that's not the problem, either, as others are able to view them on their computers. It's simply a problem on my end.

These are wmv files.

Like I said above, I believe the issue began when I installed Sygate, but I'm not 100% sure of that. I have made sure to allow WMP 9 access to the internet and allowed access to any applications that looked like they were Windows Media Player (was that a good idea?).

I have no idea how to fix this.

If anyone could help me out here, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try completely disableing sygate...just for a test..and see if you can connect with the videos...also..try updating your media player

G Dogg

G Dogg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok. I did both of those and it still won't play. Apparently it wasn't Sygate.

Is there something else I can do?

Edited by G Dogg, 03 February 2006 - 12:40 PM.