Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Update

• Please log in to reply

onelife

onelife

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I purchased a game for my PC "Call of Duty" which after it arrived after numerous attempts to start I found out that the Video Card I have on my pc wasn't powerful enough for the game. So I did some research and I found out what card I need for the game. I went to my friends at Tiger Direct, and tried to talk to a "tech" after I found a card and read the system requirement for the card,Most of them I understood but when it said "have a Free 2.0 PCI slot", I asked one sales rep at Tiger Direct and he didn't Know and he directed me to someone that said would know...Which she said she really didn't know, but she said she think it has to do we the tranfer speed and she said that the card would work fine. I wasn't too happy with that answer so I waited a while and called back and got another "tech" he said if its a new pc that you have 2.0 PCI slots so not the worry. The Mother board I have is an A0pen AX-45v I had the instruction sheet for the motorboard but it doesn't say anything about a 2.0 PCI Slot. The Motherboard has a AGP 4x slot but i couldn't find any 4x AGP cards. They were all 8x or PCI Express card. Any how the Card I settled on was a 3D Fuzion GeForce 256 mb ddr PCI. My question (finally) is was the "tech" right at Tiger Direct, will this card work fine with my motherboard of should i send it back without openning it as soon as Parcel Post delivers it?

Any Help will be greatly appreciated
Mike

Advertisements

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Is the card a Geforce256 or just a geforce ??? with 256mb memory?

If its the latter, what is it? FX5500 etc?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, a link to the card on tiger direct would be most helpful...

my gut says no

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
There would be no graphics card that uses a PCI slot that would be powerful enough to run such a graphically intensive game like COD. You would need minimum of a FX Series GeForce video card and to use that you would need an AGP (Advanced Grahpics Port) slot on your motherboard (the slot will be brown and will be offset to the right a little bit compared to the locaiton of the PCI (white colored) slots. The AGP port would also have to be 8x compatible. if you can't figure this out for yourself, feel free to say so and we will be able to help you figure out exactly what you have in your box and whether or not it will be able to use an AGP graphics card.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 03 February 2006 - 08:12 PM.

onelife

onelife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Is the card a Geforce256 or just a geforce ??? with 256mb memory?

If its the latter, what is it? FX5500 etc?

The card is a 3D Fuzion Geforce Fx 5500 it has 256 Mb. I order it on www.tigerdirect.com and it cost under a $100.

onelife

onelife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

There would be no graphics card that uses a PCI slot that would be powerful enough to run such a graphically intensive game like COD. You would need minimum of a FX Series GeForce video card and to use that you would need an AGP (Advanced Grahpics Port) slot on your motherboard (the slot will be brown and will be offset to the right a little bit compared to the locaiton of the PCI (white colored) slots. The AGP port would also have to be 8x compatible. if you can't figure this out for yourself, feel free to say so and we will be able to help you figure out exactly what you have in your box and whether or not it will be able to use an AGP graphics card.

Fenor

The motherboard has a AGP slot on it It have a card installed now but from reading the literature that came with the motherboard it is on a 4x slot. I am not a hardcore gammer yet, so do you thing the card I ordered would be good enough? the card cost less than a $100.

Thank you for all your help,
Mike

onelife

onelife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

yes, a link to the card on tiger direct would be most helpful...

my gut says no

http://www.tigerdire...40&sku=B52-1022

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
This post won't help you much but will define what I found out.

I can find no reference at all to pci 2.0 on the motherboard specs either the website specs or the downloaded manual.

nVidia site states that the FX 5500 is a chip that will work on a PCI legacy device, (thats a standard pci card) however thats the chipset and I do not know for sure what card Fuzion have mated it too.

Right now the best I can do is a 70/30 split, I am 70% sure it will work.

Edited by DeSade, 03 February 2006 - 10:32 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm with desade, I looked through the mostly useless manual and found nothing, but my guess is it will work, and am 70 percent certain as well..about all I can say is you might have done better with agp, but I also cannot tell from the manual what voltage this slot requires

onelife

onelife

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

This post won't help you much but will define what I found out.

I can find no reference at all to pci 2.0 on the motherboard specs either the website specs or the downloaded manual.

nVidia site states that the FX 5500 is a chip that will work on a PCI legacy device, (thats a standard pci card) however thats the chipset and I do not know for sure what card Fuzion have mated it too.

Right now the best I can do is a 70/30 split, I am 70% sure it will work.

Thank you for all your help, I guess I will tell you the outcome when the card arrives. Hopefully it will work!