Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Inconstent Wireless co nection

• Please log in to reply

kram

kram

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, I have a desktop and a laptop. My broadband is connected through a wireless router.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6000 with a wireless card. It used to stay connected to the router a few weeks back. But recently, there are two problems:

a. The router shows up in the list of wireless networks, but it does not connect. It is setup to automatically connect, but does not. Even when I double click, it keeps trying and then never connects - never shows connected.

b. After a minute of trying to connect, the connection still shows not connected. But my net works. It drops after a few minutes and then I double click on my network again. It picks up again even though it shows not connected.

I have tried everything at the router end - and I dont think its a router issue. Why is my laptop noy able to connect to the network and stay connected?

Advertisements

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I can think of a quite a few reasons. First of all....you can't quite rule out the router just yet. I've had two of them do exactly the same thing on me....without explanation. Linksys routers, just stopped working once, and got shorted out by lightning once. So...it could still be that. Second. Make sure (if there is one) the switch for the wireless card in your laptop is turned to on. Then clean it off....meaning be sure it's free of all spyware and malware. Directly connect your laptop (meaning hardwire it) and get the updates. It could be thats your only issue. Let me know if you've already done the virus/malware issue and you should go to that forum on this website for sure and check out other programs to try it's always good to run more then one as certain one's just simply don't catch everything. The experts in there can help you out with that. Once that's taken care of, come back and tell me. If you can connect your laptop via hardwire and it works perfectly. Thats a good sign. Don't disspair. If your laptop can't connect even with a wire, then good....we're narrowing it down...if thats the case it is probably within your laptop.

kram

kram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
My laptop does connect pretty well directly through the cable. Its only the wireless that seems to be inconsistent.

I will anyway run a sweep for malware and adware.

I was pretty surprised when my laptop could connect while it was still showing not connected or trying to connect!!

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Alright then. You need to test the wireless card in the PC. If it's turned on and not working. Take it to a place where there's a wireless connection. Like pinerra bread or Starbucks or something. If it connects there. THen it's your router, take it back. If it doesn't connect there, try getting a usb wireless connector or a pcmcia one and test it that way. All of this is after you do the malware scans though.

kram

kram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am just stepping out to a nearby coffee place with wifi - will check that first. I dont what to hope - that it works (and my router is gone) or doesnt work :tazz:

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
*shrugs* Either one really. It's about the same price for a new router as it is for a new card....thing about them both though, is that they are both under warrenty for a year. So if the router goes, take it back and get a new one free.