Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer caused invalid page fault in module explorer.exe

• Please log in to reply

Kurzxl

Kurzxl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Pentium II, 350 Gateway that was upgraded to Win98SE. Also installed on computer was Quarterdeck Cleansweep bought in 1998. I was recently cleaning it up and getting it ready for an alternate use. AOL had been installed earlier on this system.

I wanted to get rid of AOL so I used Cleansweep to uninstall AOL, a program it monitored on install. I also made a backup of this uninstall which can be restored with Cleansweep.

Upon reboot of the system, I got the following error: Explorer caused invalid page fault in module explorer.exe at 0197:00401f31 and system froze. Ctrl Alt Del shows no programs running. It will not reboot in safe mode either.

I have a emergency win98 startup floppy and can boot to dos. Went to the Microsoft site and tried several recommended fixes. One was to rename explorer.exe at c:\ to explorer.old, but that file was not there.
Another was article ID 296211 to extract new copies of original Windows files. This did not work.
Another was article 293174 to repair internet explorer,but it does not appear in the install/uninstall list so I cannot proceed with this process.

The only result of all this is that I am now getting a second error which occurs before the explorer error. This error is NISSERV caused invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0197:bff87ed3.

In the one method, I edited the system.ini file and changed shell=explorer.exe to shell=progman.exe. Was wondering if I could get into Cleansweep from here and run the restore operation.

Also thought about running scanreg /restore and try to get back to a point before the error.

Lastly, thought about trying to reinstall internet explorer or Win98, but was concerned about loosing several important programs and the existing data.

Would appreciate any advice some could give. Thanks.

Kurzxl

Advertisements