Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard problem

• Please log in to reply

bagsy

bagsy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ive got an annoying problem with my keyboard. When booting up keyboard lights come on for a second. When loading XP they flash again then Im unable to type anything. I have to restart the computer several times before i can use the keyboard.
Tried reinstalling the drivers and tried another keyboard and its still the same!
Any ideas
Thanks

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Is this a PS2 keyboard or USB? If you tried another keyboard and it does the same thing, there is a remote possiblilty of a hardware problem on the PS2 port (possible but probably unlikely). Does the problem keyboard work ok on another computer? Did this just start happening? Did you download or install anysoftware that may have caused this? Have you checked for malware? See the guide for doing that at the top of this forum (that blue question mark top left).

bagsy

bagsy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks
It started happening when I had to reinstall XP. Keyboard works on other computers . Will check for Malware.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I fixed one for a friend a while back. Windows ME and the keyboard didn't work. I cleared off tons of virus's, spyware etc, using some of the best utilities on the market and the keyboard still wouldn't work. I finally formatted and ran his restore disk. That solved the problem.

If cleaning malware off doesn't solve the problem, I would try another format and re-install. If that doesn't work then, like Austin says, the ps-2 port may be damaged and you may have to use a usb mouse.....

edit: I noticed that his ps-2 port would flex somewhat. I had to spend an extra minute making sure it was securely plugged all the way in......

edit: well duh on my part. My entry here is for a mouse problem.

I'm wondering if the keyboard controller on the motherboard is shot.....

Edited by macten, 05 February 2006 - 03:50 PM.

bagsy

bagsy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I had Five malware TROJ TRAK ADW virus three MS 04,05
cleared the first five still got the other three , looking out how to get rid of them or what they are.
Still got the same problem.
If I run the restore disk will I have to reload all my programs?
Bagsy

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
If your keyboard doesn't work and you have trojans/malware etc, I would format and re-install everything. I can't tell you how many times I have wasted several hours running utilities (and HiJack this) to clean off malware etc. only to end up formatting and re-installing everything in order to solve the problem. But it's up to you. You can go to the Malware forum on this website and run HiJack this and the other utilities they recomend and it may solve the problem. But with that keyboard problem, I would format and re-install the operating system and all programs.......

edit: if you press caps lock or num lock, do the associated lights come on, on the key board? Can you use the key board to get into safe mode by pressing F8 on bootup?

edit: thinking about it: if the system does not recognize the keyboard it will halt on boot-up with a keyborad error. But your able to boot-up. I would go over to the Malware section of this website and let them do their thing.....

Edited by macten, 06 February 2006 - 07:05 PM.