Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply

JoeGuy

JoeGuy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, got a new hard drive 2 days ago, a 2.5" pocket drive with a toshiba drive inside, plugged it into my home computer and formated the drive in NTSF and transfered some stuff over, worked fine.

Get to school and plug it into my laptop and the drive is recognized as 2 drives, 80 gb yada, and the second is a massive string of jargon

now, neither of those show in my computer, but in the drive management, the one drive shows up fine, along with size and partitons, but there is no drive letter, you can attempt to add one but it says the partition is not active and you must restart

upon restart, it stops at a black screen before logging on until you unplug the drive

any ideas what the problem is? it worked fine at home, I also tried it on a different computer with the same rezults

Advertisements

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Sounds like the drive may have shorted out. But...just for fun, try reformatting it again as one partition, and delete the extra partition in the disk manager.

JoeGuy

JoeGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i will, it was strange tho, after sitting for a while on the laptop just plugged in, after i was doing something else, it popped up and let me access the files...but it wont anymore, so im confused by it

JoeGuy

JoeGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well, i deleted the partiton and made a new partition and formated it, and it is doing the same thing on all computers now, showing up as 2 devices, and not in My Computer, it is showing up on the disk manager just without a drive letter and wont let you add one...

after formatting it allowed me to use the drive, but just until i unplugged it and plugged it back in, then it didnt work...

elp me out some plz, ty

JoeGuy

JoeGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright, the latest, the drive is recognized by the computer just not assigned a drive letter for about 30 mins after it is plugged into the computer and left, after that it works fine, could this be a power issue? it has the dual cable to allow it to get power from 2 ports, and the drive was advertized as not needing external power