Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting Problem

• Please log in to reply

unethical

unethical

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I am using my laptop to write this.

My computer has two hard drives. One of them is for backup. By accident when I went to reformat, I reformatted the backup hard drive and installed Windows XP on that hard drive. So I went back and deleted everything on that hard drive and the correct hard drive. So I reformated my hard drive, after it reformatted it went to the part where it copies files for the setup. I then get a message saying "Setup cannot copy the file: qasf.dll & a bunch of other files. So I hit enter to retry a few times and then a blue screen comes up saying this.

"A problem has been detected and wndows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0xF000EF73, 0xF000EF73, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x807D79CD)

Help me please!! :tazz:

Thankyou very much!

Advertisements

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Reformat your primary drive again, remembering to add any partitions you want and set the active partitiion.

Then simply start the xp installation again from scratch.

unethical

unethical

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
What do you mean set the active partition?

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Without knowing what you use this process could be very different.
I use FDisk because its simple and always works.

I use a win98 start up disc for this (you can download the files necessary to make this just google search)

put the disc in the machine/
reboot machine/
machine boots from aL
start computer with cd rom support/
once you are at the command prompt a:
type fdisk.exe

That opens the programe its very easy to understand.
You create a primary partition which is automatically set active (this is for your Operating system)
you can make this partition the whole harddrive or split it into parts, the choice is yours.

after this exit the programme and format the new partitions then your hdd is set up ready for a new windows installation.

unethical

unethical

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Can I use FDisk to do that process? And not using a Windows 98 CD?

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
The XP boot disc files are here XP Boot

However I do not know if fdisk is on there as I don't use it.

oh and one other thing its not a boot cd, its a 3.5 floppy.

unethical

unethical

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I am trying MaxBlast 4, have you ever used it before? I tried it on this laptop to go from Windows 98 to Windows XP and it worked wonders.

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
No I haven't.

But any program that sets up the disc will do the same thing as fdisk and allow you to install the OS.

unethical

unethical

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Where do I get Fdisk from?

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
fdisk

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Get an win98 boot disk. fdisk will be there and all the tools you need.
search for win98 boot disk download an copy to and floppy disk keep that disk
cause you never know when you'll need. boot from that disk and type fdisk at the command promt.

unethical

unethical

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I can't set my primary hard drive to the active one. Each time I go to format, it formats the other hard drive, instead of the regular hard drive. What to do? I think the problem is that my CD is scratched up.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download the Win98SE OEM bootdisk to your desktop. Double click on the downloaded file and put a floppy disk in the drive when prompted to do so to create the startup disk.

There is a Microsoft guide for this procedure HERE.

Restart with the Win98 Startup disk in the floppy drive. When presented with the Options Screen, press Shift + F5 for Command Prompt. You will see the A:\ prompt...type fdisk and press "Enter".

On the next screen type Y to enable large disk support.

In the "FDISK Options" screen, use option 3 to delete the partition and press "Enter" (If there is more than one partition on the drive, you will have to delete all of them beginning with the Logical Disk Drives and ending with the Primary partition. You will be prompted to accept each deletion...accept them.) accept all changes, press "Enter" then press "Esc" to return to the "FDISK Options" screen. Choose option 1 to "Create DOS partition or Logical DOS drive" and press enter..again, accept the change.

On the "Create DOS partition or Logical DOS drive" screen, choose option 1 to "Create Primary DOS partition" and press "Enter". Type Y to "use the maximum available size and set the partition as Active"...press "Enter"

On the next screen, press "Esc" to get the A:\ prompt, place your XP installation cd in the cd-rom drive, and then press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart your machine.

If your cd-rom is set to first boot device (if not, you'll have to enter BIOS setup and make that change), the XP disk should start and you can format the drive and install XP using that.

Let me know how this goes...

wannabe1