Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Site created in MSWord problem

• Please log in to reply

ash1066

ash1066

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have created a simple website using MSWord 2000. Everything is fine except that when I resize the window to make it smaller the text and images in the window squash together to fit in the smaller window, instead of staying where they are and just limiting what I can see. I don't know if this is anything to do with it being a web page because the same thing happens when I open the page up in Word on my PC. You can see the problem for yourself at www.ashleyhastings.co.uk
Any ideas?
Thanks

Advertisements

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
I don't use editors so there could be more too it but when I opened up your source code in MS Word I could easily move the picture along a bit to make all the text visible.

Isn't that the point of a "what you see is what you get" (wysiwyg) editor, drag things to where you want them and the code is created around that.

ash1066

ash1066

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks DeSade, but there's a bit more to it than that.
For every other website, whenever I reduce the size of the window, the content stays where it is while the amount of it that I can see reduces - just like looking through a real window, you see less of the view with a smaller window. But with mine, you always see the full view, but with everything crushed together. To see this for yourself, go to www.ashleyhastings.co.uk and drag the window smaller.
Sometimes it looks a bit squashed together even when people open it in a full-sized window (as it seems it did for you). So tweaking the code to suit one persons view isn't going to solve the problem
Whether it's got something to do with the fact that I created the site in Word, I don't know.
Thanks anyway!

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
I think it probably is word, even thou it has the function, it was never meant as a html editor.

Try a editor like frontpage (I am not endorsing this editor or any other, I use notepad myself) or check out a tutorial site on the web and learn the code.

w3schools