Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

browser

• Please log in to reply

hilbilly87

hilbilly87

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,i need help,even my isp could not fix.I installed a new usr robotics,put in more memory ,updated to win xpand everythig worked fine on aol in Florida but now being home in Canada and dialing into my isp i cannot get the home page up to surf the internet.Now if i click on a site that on my desktop which dials up i can type in other addresses.When i dial up screen stays on desktop.help.Tom :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you remove AOL? AOL installs proprietary networking software which might be interfering--and if you did, did you uninstall it correctly (add/remove in control panel)?

hilbilly87

hilbilly87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yes i did remove everything associated with aol and there is nothing showing in add\remove programs.Tom

hilbilly87

hilbilly87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello,anybody home?waiting for an answer to my reply.Tom

hilbilly87

hilbilly87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I also did what another forum member suggested,went into run typed regedit,searched for AOL deleted all files that started with AOL.I did find some more i think but they did not start with AOL but what looked like aOL inthe centre of the description,are these also Aol files?(CDDBcontrolAOL.cddbcredit)Thanks Tom

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Now if i click on a site that on my desktop which dials up i can type in other addresses.When i dial up screen stays on desktop.help.Tom :tazz:

Can you amplify this a little....Use complete description...I am guessing you are clicking a desktop shortcut to a website, but the next two points are losing me

hilbilly87

hilbilly87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have a site on my desktop that when i click on it it dials up to the companies website from there i can access my google,g2g and any other website by typing inthe url.But when i dial up to the isp my screen stays on desktop and the web page does not come up.I ran a virus program and will see what does.Tom

hilbilly87

hilbilly87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I guess i did not answer your two point question.I thought i had removed all myAOL trash but someone suggested that i click on run type in regedit and check for any files starting with AOL and delete them which i did.But on further checking i found some files with AOL in the center like my previous answer,not sure whether these are actually AOL files i did not delete them.As my first received answer from G2G said all my problems could be from having Aol on my computerand not being able to access my web page(home page).Tom

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm just having a dickens of a time understanding you for some reason...

"I have a site on my desktop that when i click on it it dials up to the companies website"

the company's website? What company? Is this your ISP, or is this a webpage link you saved.

The dialer, it is Windows default dialer, or does your ISP provide a specialized dialer?

Go to start > Connect TO > show all connections....what is in there?

hilbilly87

hilbilly87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Back again,the company is actual a website i saved on desktop when i click on it,it gets me on the internet and then i can browse,In my connection box just shows my isp which is Sympatico dial,also after i connect with the dial up i do not get any error messages why i can not get to the web page,it just stays on my desktop screen.Tom