Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

router and a new pc

• Please log in to reply

delknud

delknud

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have recently bought a new computer and connected through a d-link router to the net; However the following day i couldn't get the computer to cooperate. It wont connect to the router and it wont even find the ip address, it claims can't find dhcp server.
I've got it set to find the addresses automatically but it cant find the darn thing.
It's annoying because it worked the first day then the next day nothing.
Any help would be great.
DMZ

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Reset the router to factory default, usually a little indented button. Then set it up again. may have just got confused.

delknud

delknud

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i think the problem maybe with my computer, so what would prevent an ip address from being found automatically

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Could be any number of things from a scuppered user account to a missing file in the "chain" that Windows uses to establish the connection. Or even just the network settings.

But having said that, it doesn't just stop working overnight, something has to have happened somewhere for it to stop doing that.