Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleanup! utility and Windows difficulties

• Please log in to reply

choxer

choxer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just ran the Steven Gould Cleanup! utility on my friends laptop to clean out temporary files. I think I goofed. Having not had difficulty on my machine, I did not backup before running the utility. His laptop didn't like this and I appear to have deleted some necessary files. Now his Windows taskbar is not working properly, the start button is missing and will not respond even with the Windows button, iTunes will not open and I can't seem to download any .exe files through IE. My guess is that I will have to reinstall Windows XP. He doesn't have his XP disk though. I'm not a complete mutant when it comes to troubleshooting, but I don't really know what to do. Can you guys help??

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

You may need to press ctrl + alt + delete to get task manager, then click file, new task then type sfc /scannow then press enter

choxer

choxer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Keith thanks very much. Even ctrl alt delete isn't responding. I have gaffled everything apparently. If I grab an XP installation disk will that be enough. This is what I get for drinking and then installing software applications. Go Steelers?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will need a CD for most things, at worst you may need to do a repair install, which will leave your programmes and data intact but involve re-installing all the updates

If you downloaded SP2 then you need to get an XP SP1 CD