Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

X2 CPU Inquiry

• Please log in to reply

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
When you install a AMD Athlon 64 into a mobo, the voltage is set to 1.5V. But AMD X2s use 1.35V so if you don't change the BIOS before hand, will the X2 blow up from over voltage, I mean you would usually change the voltage but what happens when you build a new PC from scratch, will the BIOS automaticlly detect the CPU or do you have to install a AMD 64 in before hand?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It would auto detect same thing with anyother mobo for athlon 64s it would autodetect and adjust appropriatley. However 1.5 Volts wouldnt ow it up they can handl up to 1.65 safely as far as i know even more usually up to 1.75 isnt unusual for overclockers.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
thanks, i was gonna say, plug the new X2 that cost an arm and a leg and blow it up before it even turns on. So which X2 in your mind, i think 4400+ cos it's the same as the 3700+ and that was recommended by you but there is also 3800+, 4200+, 4600+, 4800+(last too maybe a bit much, just a tad)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
4400+ has the higher cache over the 3800,4200 and 4600. So i would go with that.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
That's what i thought, you know, have a bigger L2 Cache and when it starts to slow down, OC it a few hundred MHz and it should be alright.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You should get another 200Mhz on that chip pretty safely as long as the ram is up for it.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Yea, XMS for corsair should?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well it will have a fair crack at it its good memory and mines overclocks quite well, but xms you buy for its good timings more than overclocking(although still overclocks very well, most overclockers will buy faster ram(Pc3500, Pc4000) as it clcoks up to the speeds on its normal settings.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
but how does PC3500 fit into 184 pin slots?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Because its just the same its just a different spped, its the memory type that defines what slot size it fits in. DDR400 and DDR600 are both DDR ram and both use the same slot type.

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
so what ram uses DDR2 240 Pin slots, like DDR667 or what?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
DDR 2 ram does its well tis DDR2 unlike DDR which you could also call DDR1 its a different kind of memory DDR2 runs alot faster but its latencies are also higher.