Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Find CD-ROM in DOS

• Please log in to reply

kido21

kido21

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Dear Geeks,

This is probably not the way to start a new topic, but I've tried the search on your web site and I’m not getting any results...

I have a few problems.., the main one now is that I formatted my older (-98) Toshiba lap-top since it worked very slowly. I clearly followed instructions printed of a website regarding formatting, but something must have gone wrong since I now cannot get it to access the CD-ROM drive - which means I cannot install a operative system.
I previously had WIN ME installed and when I use that 'reboot' floppy it just says:
Repair starting WIN ME...

A:\>

A:\>

I'm then trying to enter D: and E: etc. in the hope of finding the CD-ROM drive, but nothing works (I can get the C: - hard disk, but cannot access the CD from there either)

So, instead I'm using the 'start-up' floppy from WIN 98 and then I'm getting the 'Main menu' with 'Install Utilities and Files' etc.
When I press enter there's the option to install the CD Rom driver: toscdrom.sys (which I've done a no. of times now..!)

Under Help it also says:
To access your CD-ROM, you must also do the following:
1) Add DEVICE=C:\CDDRV\TOSCDROM.SYS to the CONFIG.SYS file.
2) Add C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:TOSCD001 /M:10 to the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.
3) Reboot your system.

I have also done this a no. of times without success.
I also used a Swedish keyboard, but after formatting the computer changed it to a British keyboard – why and how do I change it back!?

I would of course very much appreciate if you can help me in accessing the CD-ROM so I can install the WIN ME again. (The disc is too small for XP)

Looking forward to your reply!
THANKS!
Ken

Advertisements

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Hi Kido

Just sorting out some files for you.

With you shortly.

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Click this link and download a win98 startup disc

click here

once its on your computer put a floppy disc into the drive and format it, then doubleclick the win98 disc icon you just downloaded and it will create the disc for you.

reboot using the disc and choose start machine with cdrom support and away you go.

Remember the cd rom might always be the same letter, if your cd rom was D:/ before now it might be E: etc

This will return to normal after windows is reloaded.

kido21

kido21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
DeSade,

I appreciate that you are/were trying to help me, but I don't think you read through my topic carefully... I have a 98 startup disc (floppy) and I have tried different letters to access the CD-ROM without any result...
If you or anyone else have any other suggestion I greatly appreciate your time & effort..!!!
THANKS!
Ken

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Thing is I do not know what files you have on your startup disc.

The link I have given you I have verified it to contain dos cdrom drivers that should be actioned when you boot up. If they don't work automatically there are other options.

Installing a cd rom into dos should not be as complicated as your post, either the software isn't the right type or its not being used right (no fault of yours).

I am sure we can get to the bottom of this :tazz:

Please let me know if the cdrom does not install straight away with the win98 files I linked you too, if they don't we have to try a manual install.

kido21

kido21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi DeSade,

Thank you once again for your time and assistance!
The start up disc I have is a ‘special’ Toshiba disc that supports Win 98.
I had done it a number of times, but I once again followed exactly the instructions on the txt. file and “voila” – suddenly it started to load the Win ME CD..! :tazz:

If anyone else might be checking this later – I think that the problem was that I did something wrong (misprinted or something) on a part where it says;
If you need to access your CD-ROM drive then you also need to remove the word ‘rem’ from a: (rem if exist toscd001)
a:\mscdex /D:TOSCD001 /M:10 (autoexec.bat)
rem device=a:\toscdrom.sys (config.sys)

I have written it the way it is worded in the txt. help file and not being a computer geek it is (was) very confusing to me… Should I write what it says after ‘a:\’ or do I start with ‘rem device=…’
Anyway somehow I must have got it right since the CD suddenly started to work again.
I saved your link on my XP computer in case I would need to reboot the old lap top later.

Now I’m in for the next challenge – to clean a virus infected hard disc that I’ve bought an external case for and intend to connect to and check with my newly formatted lap top (don’t want to risk connecting it to my newer computer…)

THANK YOU!! :)
Cheers
Ken

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Ken

I suggest you go to the Malware forum for help with that

malware forum