Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost DVD Recorder Functions

• Please log in to reply

faraday

faraday

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,
I have an ASUS DVD PLAYER & a Lite 0n SOHW 1693S DVD Recorder.
Last week I upgraded my iTunes from V4 to V6 and afterwards both DVD players
stopped functioning properly [played music only]. I removed the iTunes software.
My grandson read your help from WANABE and did some changes in the Registry which got them
to work from simply music players to partial recovery. He then downloaded the ASUS driver installed
and got it working OK. He could not find the Lite On driver but I found it later. It installed in the
unzipped folder and does not seem to correlate with the DVD recorder [Due to my limitations as a junior Geek]. When I go into Device Manager to update drivers it still shows up as a Microsoft 2001 driver - i.e. it does not update. Here are my DVD recorder functions:

Official DVD Film: Plays OK
New Blank DVD+R: Shows as a CD Drive; 0 BYTES Free Space: 0 Bytes Total Space
New Blank DVD+RW: Same as DVD+R
DVD+RW Data Disc previously made by me: works OK but says full when only 1.33GB used
PC-PRO Magazine DVD Disc: works OK.

New Blank CD Disc: Works OK Free/Total space OK
Data CD Disc [Roxio 6]: Works OK

I would go to system restore just before iTunes INSTALLED but I'm worried about loosing 100's of photos abd a couple of long slideshows I've made since [can't back up at the moment because of above]. If this is OK would it be best solution?

Thanks for any help.
faraday :tazz:

Advertisements

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Try this

Go to

start/
control panel/
add remove hardware/
remove the dvd recorder completely

Then reboot the machine and let windows find the hardware, when it prompts you for a driver point it to the new one you downloaded.

Let me know how you go.

faraday

faraday

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks DeSade,
No. When I do that Win XP does not allow me to do anything - it automatically installs hardware.
I can uninstall the DVD Recorder then in control panel navigate to Device Manager - Driver - Update Driver -
Install from a Location - Browse to C:\UNZIP\v605\LiteOn............ But this does not work; the driver never updates using this method. [I still have the new driver as a zip file does it need installing elsewhere?].

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Sounds like you have the wrong driver for your model, if thats the case then it won't install.

Can you post as many model details of your recorder as possible and I will see what I can find for it.

faraday

faraday

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks. It is a Lite On DVD RW SOHW 1693S
What I cannot understand is when in Device Manager in the update box it never
does update even though I've downloaded a driver from LiteOn called v605.
Device Manager says - it is a 'Microsoft Driver 2001' which is seriously out of date seeing this
is a 2005 DVD player.

I think somehow I am not pointing it to this new driver properly. But I do go to update driver
fill the browse box etc. Also I removed as you said and tried to get it to reinstall with the
new driver with no luck: I feel this is a flaw in my PC abilities.
Regards...............faraday :tazz:

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Please go here and download the file

Lite Firmware

We are going to make sure your drive is as up-to-date as possible

1. Make sure your drive's model name by inspecting the safety label on top of your drive.
2. Download the ZIP file with correct model name.
3. Please unzip the downloaded ZIP file.
4. Please close all applications under Windows.
5. Please make sure to keep power supplier without any interruption during upgrade.
6. Execute the firmware upgrade execution file.
7. Select the drive you want to upgrade ( if you have more than one LITE-ON drives ).
8. Upgrading ( No power interruption ).
9. Reboot your PC to see if the firmware has been changed.

these are instructions for flashing your firmware please follow them exactally.

Firmware is a little different from installing drivers, drivers cannot damage your machine, unfortunantly firmware can, but please don't let that put you off.

Post back when you have done this

faraday

faraday

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
Have done this, downloaded and opened ok. Restarted PC no change in device manager. Uninstalled DVD again and restarted - no change. ?? :tazz: :)

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
I have to apologise at this point I am stumped.

I would be looking in the registry for rogue keys now if I was sitting at your computer, but thats not something I want to give advice on remotely, its too easy to make a mistake.

faraday

faraday

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for all your help. The DVD ,seems, to be working ok now, but it has still not updated!
Maybe all the changes made has spurred it to greater effort?

Thanks again,