Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dropped my laptop.. now freezes not working

• Please log in to reply

metgirl23

metgirl23

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz:
I dropped my laptop about a week ago. Actually one of my dogs pulled it from its stand from about 3 feet high.
Its a Dell Inspirion 8200. At first all that seemed wrong with it was the one of flpopy drives popped out. I pushed it back in. Laptop seemed to work fine but all of sudden one day when I rebooted it said Windows didnt' close properly and it wanted to do a chkdsc. It ran check disc and found bad sector. Then it tryed to update my symatec antivirus and said it didn't find available memory to write too. Now it takes like 10 minutes or more to reboot. and now once the desktop reloads the computer doesn't work..
I think this is the hard drive. I would like to know if there is anyway I can tell for sure.. If it is this how hard is it to remove and add a new one.. I have done this before on a desktop but not on a laptop..
Also how hard is it to setup the new hard drive ? Could this be something other than the hard drive.. I currently have a 40 GB harddrive. I would like to get the largest one available for my laptop at the highest rpm available for my model..
Thankx for any help

Advertisements

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
The deathzone for hard drives is about three feet or so. Chances of it surviving are about 20% at this point. So I'd say thats whats wrong with it. Bad sectors are no good. Get a new drive at the very least, and I hate to say it, but this could be only the begining of your problems. Cross your fingers and pray thats the only thing wrong with it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you can get inside of the machine...i'd check and make sure everything is seated correctly...like the ram and what not....was the computer on when it fell? a machine being off during a fall greatly reduces the effects of the fall...but...i'd say the thing is broken

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
*laughs* Good deduction.