Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start menu, quick launch and sound probs Win XP Home Ed

• Please log in to reply

brillman

brillman

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for the last round of help. Here are some further problems I have recently been having:

1. Sometimes - Start menu - the section above the "All Programs" button is just a black box. Usually, this is the area that displays the last X programs I opened or some of the constant ones.
2. Sometimes - Taskbar will forget that I have a Quick Launch menu. I have to right click and set the Taskbar properties again to show quick launch menu.
3. Sometimes - when probs like the above happen, clicking on All Programs and then selecting a Menu item which has menu members (displayed in a separate menu) or control panel for example to show the different controls - doesnt work. All I get is a beep.

The above are all Start menu/task bar issues. Usually, a reboot will solve these probs before they happen again. I have been doing some software development and repeatedly testing the software via an install package (setup2go) that does add/remove icons from the start menu and do registry changes - dont know if that caused this.

Strange issue #4 is:

4. The little volume icon in my sys tray has gone missing. When I go to Control Panel - Sounds - and try to open the volume controls it says sndvol32.exe is not installed, go to add/remove programs. I did a search and found C:\i386\sndvol32.exe, am able to run it. Bummer is my sound has gone low and it seems like even if I have sound at full volume it is low (compared to before). My sound device cards etc are working properly and drivers are up to date.

My machine is free of malware, adware, sypware, viruses. All checks done, have CA Anti Virus running with Zonealarm, Microsoft Anti Spyware and Tuneup software trial. Till recently had Ewido running.

I have done the following already:
1. sfc /scannow
2. prefetch

Please help.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
are you using the default theme that came with windows or are you using some theme enhacements?

Try changing themes...does it make a difference?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
btw, that is not the proper place for sndvol32.exe

It should be in c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi brillman...

Open Control Panel and double-click on the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon.

Under the "Sounds" tab, select "Windows default" in the Sounds Scheme drop down menu.

Under the "Audio" tab, make sure that your AC ' 97 device is listed in the top two sections...if not, select it from the drop down menu.

Under the "Voice" tab, make sure the AC ' 97 device is listed in both boxes...if not, select it.

Under the "Hardware" tab, look at all the devices in the list and post them here for me.

Under the "Volume" tab, put a tick in the box to "Place volume icon in the taskbar".

Click "Apply" and then "Ok".

Now look down by the clock...is the sound icon there? If yes, double-click on it and make sure there is not a tick in the box next to "Mute" and that the Volume sliders are all set to at least halfway.

Reboot

Sound?

wannabe1

brillman

brillman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for the replies folks....

Wannabe1: All my settings were OK where you asked me to check.

gerryf: I moved my sndvol32.exe to c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe

now everything works, I was able to add my volume icon back to the sys tray. What puzzles me is it used to be there before, how the heck did it vanish.

Thanks again.

Any ideas on the other questions I posted regarding Taskbar, startmenu etc?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
my first response?

Are you using default theme or a theming tool?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
let's try a different tact

download the following attachment

Extract, install

Attached Files