Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP: Why huge downloads stop midway ?

• Please log in to reply

perryjoseph

perryjoseph

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Just noticed that it is not possible to download a 68 M .exe file. System refuses to download after some 3.8M.
Using 512 ADSL/XP and Pentium IV. Using also Mcfee, which seems to update at the same time.
Any suggestions or tweaking I've missed ?
Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There's nothing in XP to curb downloads after a certain amount of time, by default anyway. I got a 206Mb download the other day on 512k ADSL, XP and no problems.

Which 68Mb file are you trying to download and where from?

perryjoseph

perryjoseph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Very reassuring for me. The 68 MB + file download was for a trial program. Wonder whether my local ISP was the culprit !

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
charter communications is my cable isp. i used to get 384k, but recently upped to 3mb/s. muuuucch better. well anyway, that used to happen alot with my d-link cable modem, a few months later, it stoped working. turned out charter no longer worked with d-link cable modems, and i had to get a linksys one. maybe your isp is having issues with your equiptment.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Although your story is special, TheBinaryMan, I'm far more inclined to believe that its just the website.

I have a 384 connection, and from certain sites, it just wont download correctly, no matter what. Yet with other sites, a download three times as big will complete succesfully.

Just try go get the file somewhere else.

perryjoseph

perryjoseph

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have also asked my ISP to comment and ask for an explanation. I do not expect a reply. Strangely though, I also use a Mac : Same problem. Website problems or ISP malice ? Go to Skype forums and you'll be amazed at what ISP's can do.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If its doing the same thing on a Mac then it comes down to either an issue with the internet provider or (more likely) a problem with the server you're downloading from.

But if in doubt, find a friend on a different provider and see if they can download that 68Mb file. If they have the same cut-off point at 3.8Mb, then all you can do is find another server to download it from.