Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

7800 GS AGP vs 7800 GT PCIe

• Please log in to reply

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Y does the 7800 GS(agp 460/1350) have higher clock speeds than the 7800 GT(PCIe 450/1100)

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
dont you mean 6800GS.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
NO
THE NEW 7800 GS AGP

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
that is because it has fewer pixel pipelines, and thus putting out a lower bandwith than the gt.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
and they also sell 6600gt's with 500mhz gpu speeds, but those only have 8 pixel pipelines, and the gpu is lesser to begin with, so speed alone does not make a card better (not that the 6600gt is bad)

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
yah but its like the same GPU how come they get lower speeds out of the PCIe version?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah its new, I saw it at newegg.com It only comes in agp version.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The 6600GT is not bad its awful, i never noticed they released it but Nvidia releases dont get the same publicity here considering how cheap all the rest are, you would have to be nuts to buy anything nvidia in the UK.

Itll be the same deal as the 6800GS fewer pipelines faster speed as fewer pipelines less heat output, it also depends on what the manufacturer sets the clock frequency at they can go higher and lower from the standard depending on what the spec they want and how good the cooler is.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
So i probably couldnt OC my 7800 gt to 460/1350, rite? unless i had aftermarket cooling?

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
well you always could, just it may not be safe.

if you use coolbits, you can go into your nvidia options there for overclocking, and there is a button "test these settings" and "detect best setting" or something like that, that will do as they say, and it will find the highest mhz setting that runs at a safe temperature. once ran a geforce fx5200 at 294/499 (normally 250/400 or something) cause it said it was safe at that speed. whoooo it was fast. and that was with the stock cooler.

Edited by Thebinaryman, 08 February 2006 - 04:18 PM.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Thx whats coolbits?

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
http://downloads.gur...oad.php?det=815

its a .reg file (right click it to merge with you registry) that unlocks the settings in the nvida control panel for overclocking.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Thx, my 7800 gt is now overclocked to 503/1180

anoobrew

anoobrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
yah ............my comp crashed. I guess it was too much, was it becuase it got too hot?

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
yeah, i guess so, that was a pretty big jump you made, a good rule of thumb is to put it up a notch or two, test, (test on full load of gaming for like 10 min.), then up it again, etc. with good cooling you probably could obtain those speeds and higher quite stabley, so it may be worth some more $$ for good cooling.