Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbee's New build

• Please log in to reply

Eddiemahon1942

Eddiemahon1942

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: I purchased items from Fry's two weeks ago with the intention of combining them for a new system. However, I find everything much different that 1980 when I put together my first system!

Question 1:
I purchased the Intel 3.2 CPU, and was told I would need "Arctic Silver" thermal compound. The instructions state... "Arctic Silver" thermal compound should be between the processor core and the heatsink. Remove any thermal pads or other interface material from the heatsink before applying the Arctic Silver. Thermal pads can be scraped off with a plastic tool that will not scratch the bottom then the remnants can be removed with a xylene based cleaner, (Goof Off and some carburetor cleaners) acetone, mineral spirits, or high-purity isopropyl alcohol... Intel CPU has a wax like pad on the surface of the heatsink, if I use the above product, it must come off! Does Intel have a better solution than "Arctic Silver?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question 2:
The motherboard came with brass standoffs, metal screws, and fiber washers, which attach to the metal support bracket... the board has metal rims around each mounting hole... looks like for grounding. If the metal screws ground the board to the case when placed into the brass stands, why do I have the fiber washers? Where do they go?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have achieved little in the last two weeks! Please, help me with this project!

Thx,
Eddie

Please do not include an e-mail address in any post as you may get unwanted contact

Edited by Keith, 07 February 2006 - 01:45 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Question 1:
I purchased the Intel 3.2 CPU, and was told I would need "Arctic Silver" thermal compound. The instructions state... "Arctic Silver" thermal compound should be between the processor core and the heatsink. Remove any thermal pads or other interface material from the heatsink before applying the Arctic Silver. Thermal pads can be scraped off with a plastic tool that will not scratch the bottom then the remnants can be removed with a xylene based cleaner, (Goof Off and some carburetor cleaners) acetone, mineral spirits, or high-purity isopropyl alcohol... Intel CPU has a wax like pad on the surface of the heatsink, if I use the above product, it must come off! Does Intel have a better solution than "Arctic Silver?"

If you bought the "processor in a box" - that is, you got the processor, heatsink and fan - then the "wax" on the bottom does the same job as thermal compound. What Intel and AMD do is put a thermal pad on the heatsink so its ready to go.

Considering Intel offer a limited warranty, its in their best interests to put the pad on properly in the first place so you can safely assume that this is the case and you just need to take it out the box, take off the plastic productive cover and clip it onto the board.

Some people argue that Arctic Silver allows for better heat dissipation but for the amount of effort over what you have now, its not really worth changing.

Question 2:
The motherboard came with brass standoffs, metal screws, and fiber washers, which attach to the metal support bracket... the board has metal rims around each mounting hole... looks like for grounding. If the metal screws ground the board to the case when placed into the brass stands, why do I have the fiber washers? Where do they go?

The standoffs keep the board raised from the back of the case, otherwise it would cause a short circuit and basically kill the board. The screws are obviously to secure the board to said standoffs so it doesn't fall down if the case is tipped. The washers are provided for extra "security" if you like and they normally go between the head and the board itself, though depending on the design of the standoffs, they can also go between standoff and motherboard. Sometimes they can be needed but more often than not, aren't required.