Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring data from a PC to a Mac

• Please log in to reply

seegoon

seegoon

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, let alone the right site, but any help would be appreciated. So apologies if it's in the wrong place.

I'm planning to transfer a few (15, 20) gig of files from my XP PC to an OSX Mac. I've searched around, and all that's recommended are costly programs. Now; I have a DVD-RW and a few 4.4GB DVDs, and each one seems to take half an hour or so, and in the end is quite slow and costly. I think I have firewire and network cables to connect the computers, as well as a hub.

Is there any free way to do this? If not, I'll carry on with the DVD approach, painful as it is.

Thanks.

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Well I suppose it really depends on the file types. But it sounds like the disc burning thing is probably the most cost effective. Or maybe you could x-fer it using an iPod.
-Pete.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Windows and Macs can share data over a network cable....

Here's a quick guide someone whipped up

http://joelshoemaker...ilesharing.html