Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet randomly Stops!

• Please log in to reply

Mikester

Mikester

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I have a windows 98 reforated Gold edition that is on a net work and it will randomly lose internet conncetion. The only way I can regain connection is by restarting the computer. It just stops from between 5 minutes to sometimes 45 minutes you just never know when it is going to end. I do not think this is a malware problem My system is clean. I have AVG antivirus free edition if that matters. Please help thank you.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to networking forum.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Mike,

When you lose your Internet connection, can you regain it by doing the following -- goto Start --> Run --> Type winipcfg and click OK --> Click Release; observe that the IP address is set to 0.0.0.0 --> Click Renew. Are you able to now browse the Internet again?

Please also open Event Viewer and look for any errors and/or warnings.

Mikester

Mikester

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I tried what you said but I still could not browse the internet but the wierd part is I can go onto AOL instant messanger. Also, What did you mean by EventViwer? Lastly, I had an error message thatsaid

Specify new values in IIS Admin tools for script timeout.

This was 2 days ago, before I ran the winipcfg.

Edited by Mikester, 09 February 2006 - 04:20 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Sorry, but where exactly did you recieve that error message? What were you doing when you recieved that message?

Mikester

Mikester

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I guess the person using the computer who recieved the error recieved it on the other computer i have not the 98 sorry.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Mike,
On your computer, please perform a search for the following file: AUTMGR32.log
Once found (it should be in your Windows folder), please open it with notepad, and then copy/paste the contents from within into your next reply.

Thanks,
Dan.

MkLoe

MkLoe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
What does that do.

Edited by MkLoe, 12 February 2006 - 03:55 PM.

Mikester

Mikester

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I searched for it multiple times but I could not find it. I used the built in search and then navigated on my own.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Mike, please download and run WinsockFix. Once run, reboot and test your connection; do you still become disconnected after a certain amount of time?

Please download LSPFix from here. Run the LSPFix.exe that you have just finished downloading, and please list all of the protocols that are in the 'Keep' and 'Remove' list; if there are protocols in the 'Remove' list, then please don't click 'Finish>>'. Simply close the program by pressing ALT+F4 or the Close [x] button.

Thanks,
Dan.

Mikester

Mikester

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
ok I ran winstock I still lose my borwser connection though, But AIM and Like IRC chat works when the browser does not now for LSPfix

Keep
rnr20.dll (DNS Name Space Provider)
msafd.dll Protocol
rsvpsp.dll Potocol

No Remove

Edited by Mikester, 13 February 2006 - 04:25 PM.