Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer randomly restarts on heavy load

• Please log in to reply

computermaker

computermaker

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
well i have a few ideas i have abunch of fans and lights all sharing the same poweer sorce as my hard drive so im thinking to have 1 cable going to the hard drive and same for my graphic card i also get this error

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 2/6/2006
Time: 10:31:50 PM
User: N/A
Computer: FFRULES-FBAC99C
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000c2 (0x00000007, 0x00000cd4, 0x00000000, 0x85acb008). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini020606-01.dmp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

any help would be helpfull

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Although you have not given any specs for your computer i suspect it may be one of three things. One is that your power supply does not have enough steady state power. Your PS may say its a 500 watt PS(or whatever it is) but usually the rating is where the PS peaks at, not steady supply. I tend to buy overpowered known good brands of PS's simply because i know i will be getting higher steady rates of wattage.

Not likely here is overheating but just because you have a lot of fans doeant mean you are getting the best cooling. I had a AMD puter with 4 fans in it and the cpu temp was 67º running a game. When i removed a fan my cpu temp went to 60°. You may need to look at the flow paths in the puter to see if you are helping or hurting cooling.

Last but least likely is that your memory may be marginal. It may be just not up to the task when you are running high loads.

Thats the order i would start checking things.

SRX660

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
well my chip which is amd duron 1.8 mghzs runs about 45 degress cel when running a game so i doubt its a cooling problem

i have 1 stick of 1gb ram
60gb western hard drive

my psu came with the case
i turned off the auto restart thing in my windows system settings to see what would happened what happens is it doesnt restart now it just shuts off but the fans and lights and everything are still running in order to get my system back up i need to push the restart button on my case

it does it randomly while playing fear demo and bf2
my psu supposed to be 480 watts its doesnt seem to be bad
should i just have the psu connected 1 wire to my hard drive and then 1 wire to my graphic card and see if it does it again?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, i would try that. I have even at times run 2 power supplys in a computer trying to see if it would work. It only helped that the puter hardware kept working properly.It may be that your processor may be too slow to run the newest versions of these games. Do you get any stuttering in the games?

SRX660

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
nope no stutter at all fear and bf2 run great

i got a geforce 6600 gt 256mb card

my processor is equal to a 2.4ghz pentium 4

wierd thing is i played fear today for a few hours and when i exited it it restarted sometimes it restarts during gameplay its like when u have a power surge in your home when your computer shuts off and automaticly turns back on thats whats happening and i always get that bug error in my event log when it does that

what i could do is pull the plug from my pc then plug it back in and see if that error shows up in my event log

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I was just over at another board and someone has the same problem. A couple of guys think it's faulty memory and sugest testing it with memtest:

http://www.memtest86.com/

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
is there another program i can try without burning our making a floppy? i dont have a floppy drive and im out of cd's for my burner

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if you get anywhere with this

http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
u need to make a disk our cd with that one too

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
:tazz: , sorry, I have seen one which runs straight from install, thought that was it, will look

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I had the same problem while playing GTA San Andreas. I found out that if you have an onboard sound card you have to disable sound acceleration in DirectX. Go to start/run type dxdiag and under the sound1 tab try lowering the sound acceleration or disableing it. You wont lose on performance in the game

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This runs from install

http://cpu.rightmark...ramtester.shtml

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
i did what memb said i turned down the volume accelration and i played fear for 2 hours and exited and guess what... No restart! so lets hope it wont do it no more stuip tricky onboard sound lol thanks abunch guys