Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-RW drive can't write

• Please log in to reply

fanton

fanton

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Update: This Drive will rip and burn Audion CD's. It will burn a data cd with Roxio CD burner. For some reason Windows explorer will not allow Copy to CD or Drag and Drop Feature. Alert Message is D: drive is not accessable. Cannot 'Enable Drag and Drop copy to CD feature.' I was told that software, perhaps Roxio, is causing this... :tazz:

Hello, I'm asking about a friends PC, that I was working on today. It is a Gateway solo 9550, with Win XP It has an internal Toshiba DVD rom CD-RW drive model RD2002 or SL95 R1, something like that.
First strange thing is that this drive is listed in the 'Safely Remove Hardware' Dialog. It must have been a later add-on...
Second, This drive will play an Audio CD, but when I put in a blank CD-R, Drive properties shows the drive as full...No Free space.
Lastly, When trying to save to or copy to this Drive, Alert Message states that Drive is not Accessable

I tried to update the drivers, and I tried to remove and reinstall the drive, no good...

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Edited by fanton, 08 February 2006 - 04:55 PM.

Advertisements

fanton

fanton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Well, I have a query in with gateway support. Have I given enough info?

Apparantly the Drive can write audio cd's (through itunes,) but not data cd's.

This thread should be in the Windows XP topic perhaps...

Edited by fanton, 08 February 2006 - 04:56 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

In order to use the drag & drop facility, you need to first format the CDR or CDRW using DirectCD (part of Roxio'x Easy CD Creator).
The fact that Explorer reports there is no free space of the blank CD, suggests that you haven't formatted it.

Note that you only need to format the disc if you wish to use it for drag 'n' drop etc. Formatting is not necessary for creating audio CDs or normal data CDs burnt using 3rd party software such as Roxios ECDC or Nero etc.

fanton

fanton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Formatting... that was suggested, I just didn't pay it an mind. Thanks for the kick in the butt.

I have a newer Gateway laptop where this isn't an issue. The drag and drop feature is embedded into the OS, or the Drive, I guess. I have also seen it on Dell Laptops.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Windows XP does have the drag n drop function embedded into it. The problem arises I believe, when you install 3rd party burning software which has UDF support built into it (such as Roxio ECDC which has directCD built in).
When this 3rd party software is installed, often XPs own embedded burning software is automatically disabled.