Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound's Not Working

• Please log in to reply

George bob

George bob

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi

I got a new video card. A Radeon 9250 for PCI. I unintalled the only thing I could find related to my current video card, which said "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator" or something like that. After that, I replaced waht looked like my video card with my 9250, then installed it using the disc I got. It worked fine, Half Life 2 and such were running well, but for one reason or another, the sound was extremely low. I checked the sound preferences and just... a bunch of stuff, but no good. I later found out that the card I replaced was the sound card, so I decided to put the card back, but the sound was no better. So, I system restored back to before I uninstalled my "Intel Graphics Accelerator", but the sound just got lower. Now I can barely hear it at maximum volume. Any ideas on why?

HELP HELP HELP

please.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
George bob –[No Sound] Replaced Video Card
8th Feb 2006

(1) – Where is your Monitor Connected – Usually Monitor Connectors - [15 pin VGA] - are attached to Video Cards – That was Clue #1 –
(2) – Need info on Sound Card
(3) – Need info on Speakers – [External] – [Internal]
(4) – Where are Speakers connected – [Sound Board] – [PC Jacks]
(5) – Do you have Installation CD for – [Sound Board]
(6) – Do you have Installation CD for – [Intel Graphics Media Accelerator] –

Probably you need to – [Update Sound Card Driver] – via [Device Manager] – By removing the Sound Board – You are probably using – [Onboard Sound] –

Need more info on PC – So Download the Free Home Edition of – [Everest] – see link below –

http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

See attachment for Instructions on Everest –

Also review these links on Video Cards -

Intel Graphics Accelerator Card
http://www.intel.com...raphics/gma900/

Radeon 9250
http://www.ati.com/p...9250/index.html

Setup for Radeon 9200 series
http://www2.ati.com/...ls/Rade9200.pdf

Jack123

Attached File  01_EVEREST_3F_Attatchment.doc   32KB   24 downloads

Edited by Jack123, 08 February 2006 - 09:26 AM.

George bob

George bob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

George bob –[No Sound] Replaced Video Card
8th Feb 2006

(1) – Where is your Monitor Connected – Usually Monitor Connectors - [15 pin VGA] - are attached to Video Cards – That was Clue #1 –
(2) – Need info on Sound Card
(3) – Need info on Speakers – [External] – [Internal]
(4) – Where are Speakers connected – [Sound Board] – [PC Jacks]
(5) – Do you have Installation CD for – [Sound Board]
(6) – Do you have Installation CD for – [Intel Graphics Media Accelerator] –

My monitor is connected to the connector that is attached to my video card.

My sound card is.. Intel 82801FB ICH6 - High Definition Audio controller

Not sure if that's correct though. That's what I got when I went to Multimedia and then PCI/PnP Audio on Everest.

I don't think info on speakers are necessary because I forgot to mention that the same problem occurswith my headsets.

I don't think my sound board had a installation CD. It's the default one that came with the CPU.
And same goes for Intel Graphics MEdia Accelerator. No isntallation CD.

While I was waiting for somebody to respond to this topic, I decided to search for alternatives. I've found a volume amplifier which has provided me with a below average sound, and of course the amplifying has dulled the quality of the sound.

If anybody can, instead of figuring out what's wrong with my computer, find me a (free) volume amplifying software that I can download which would greatly increase my volume, it would be much appreciated.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
George bob –[No Sound] Replaced Video Card-(#2)
8th Feb 2006

My sound card is.. Intel 82801FB ICH6 - High Definition Audio controller

Not sure if that's correct though. That's what I got when I went to Multimedia and then PCI/PnP Audio on Everest

What does Everest indicate about your Motherboard -

I don't think info on speakers are necessary because I forgot to mention that the same problem occurswith my headsets.

Ok – I am just being thorough – But if you don’t think so – – –

I later found out that the card I replaced was the sound card,

Good thinking –

I don't think my sound board had a installation CD. It's the default one that came with the CPU.
And same goes for Intel Graphics MEdia Accelerator. No isntallation CD.

Do you have any CD pertaining to PC – that came with PC

If anybody can, instead of figuring out what's wrong with my computer, find me a (free) volume amplifying software that I can download which would greatly increase my volume, it would be much appreciated.

So instead of figuring out problem – see link

http://www.miracle-ear.com/

Amen
Jack123

George bob

George bob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

George bob –[No Sound] Replaced Video Card-(#2)
8th Feb 2006
What does Everest indicate about your Motherboard -
Do you have any CD pertaining to PC – that came with PC

Amen
Jack123

Everest says that my motherboard's name is:
Asus PTGD1-LA

I'm sure a CD came with my computer, I can find it with thorough searching but I don't have the time at the moment.

A minor detail-
On websites, when I use the mouse wheel, an odd buzzing noise goes off in my headsets.

:tazz:

Edited by George bob, 08 February 2006 - 06:55 PM.