Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shutdown referenced memory

• Please log in to reply

joe f

joe f

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
On shutting down by desktop, running XP, I get an error box and message saying:
On shutdown

"the instruction at 0x02af1611, referenced memory could not be read" ---

every time, with OK and Cancel to debug as options. Clicking on neither button helps, and the error box slows down, but does not stop shutdown.

On bootup, it boots up ok so far.

Any ideas?

I have run Fix-It's clean programs, including the registry clean, and that does not help.

By the way, Thanks for the help on my laptop last night. You guys are great. :tazz:

Thanks, Joe F.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Joe...Welcome back!

This sounds like a RAM problem.

How many sticks of RAM do you have in your machine? If you have more than one, and this sounds a bit goofy, switch the RAM in slots one and two around and see if the error message goes away.

Be careful working inside the case...always touch the metal part of the case before touching anything near the motherboard or HDD...static can be deadly to the machine.

wannabe1

joe f

joe f

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi, thanks for the help yesterday.

I have a gig of ram on this machine, but have not been inside it. tht will take me a while to do that. I will come back much latere after I can try that, thanks, Joe

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're welcome! :tazz:

Let me know how it goes....

wannabe1