Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

processor speed

• Please log in to reply

jdlawyer

jdlawyer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i have an intel pentium 4 2.0ghz cpu and 40g HDD...i want to upgrade to 2.8ghz cpu and 120g HDD...will i REALLY be able to tell speed difference if i spend the money?

Advertisements

NeilA

NeilA

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
The faster processor will be faster but it could be your other components slowing the system down.

You should invest in a SATA hardisk if your motherboard allows. A gigabyte of ram will be useful too.

Basically its no good upgrading just a couple of bits as other bits will still hold it back.

Hope thats given you a bit of an answer.

Neil.

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
When looking at the harddrives, make sure that they have a big cach. Two 80GB with a 8MB cach each, will be a lot faster then a single 120GB with a 4MB cach. And if you buy OEM harddrives they will be cheaper then one 120GB drive. With the CPU, what chipset is it, and what is the FSB on the OLD to NEW. If the same you will not see much difference. If the OLD has a 533mhz FSB and the NEW CPU is has a 800mhz FSB(if the motherboard supports it) then you will see much improvement. Hope that this helps.

Edited by DHooper, 18 February 2005 - 03:26 PM.

jdlawyer

jdlawyer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for the reply...i just added a 120gb; 7200 rpm; ultra ata/133; with 8mb cache...so far so good

jdlawyer

jdlawyer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i also have 1gig of RAM...i didn't bother to update the cpu at this point...wanted to see if the bigger/faster hdd would do the trick...

thanks again for the info...

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
i hope your computer is faster a gig of ram would be helpful along with that new processer, please share if it did improve your speed :tazz: