Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Embed a forum.

• Please log in to reply

dovemouse

dovemouse

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Right i have a flash site and i also have a forum registered at proboards.com, however i really want a forum on my main page and i havnt' got a clue about mySQL or PHP. So im kinda comfused. Any infomation would be helpful.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I am also confused. Try to give a better description of what you are trying to do. Your topic title says one thing, but then the thread says something else.

ScHwErV :tazz:

dovemouse

dovemouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Okay, well bassically i want a forum actually embedded into my flash site rather than having a link to an externally hosted free forum. Like this one i guess but with a flash site.

Edited by dovemouse, 08 February 2006 - 08:50 AM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Most forums do not like to be included/embedded/framed into a page. Actually that goes for most any php script in general. When you do that, you change the relative file paths, and the script doesnt work right.

I recommend against "embedding", however you can host your own forum, you just have to pay for the software. Uploading and installing forum software is pretty easy and is well laid out in the documentation.

ScHwErV :tazz:

dovemouse

dovemouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ah okay, i thought the answer would be something like that. Ah well.
If i want to ask another question (almost related) should i start a new thread?

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
you can also check what your webhost service might offer. for example on my host I can set up a forum with a few clicks in the site admin panel.

dovemouse

dovemouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yeah i can do that too...but i don't understand it at all.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
if your host uses Fantastico it pretty much does all the work for you. The only thing you may have to do is allow it access to the DB/MySQL server so it can set the database tables up.