Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Firewall disabled

• Please log in to reply

th3

th3

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Hi Guys :)

I have been sorting out a friends machine which has XP Pro installed but hadn't been updated as he is on dial up.

Installed SP2 from MS Disc and sorted out a few virus issues he had and machine is now working fine with one exception XP Firewall will not enable.

Both enable and disable options are greyed out and enabling via security centre alert has no effect :tazz:

It's not impossible that there is some virus residue that is causing this but I have no plans to do further work on the machine until I have installed all the post SP2 updates (which I have downloaded) and installed broadband for him.

Anyone had similar issues and know of a bug/fix?

I've attached a HJT log but I'm not after Malware help, just thought it might be useful.....

Attached Files

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It looks to me like you still have some issues there...quite likely a trojan

Visit our malware forum, follow the instructions at the top, including posting a hijackthis log there AFTER you have completed all else

Afterward, if the problem persists

go to
start > run
gpedit.msc
<enter>

Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > Network Connections > Windows Firewall.

Set everything to NOT CONFIGURED

If still no joy, return to this thread.