Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloand and Update Connection Issue

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just by your comments earlier, I'm assuming that the Windows.1 folder is the active directory. Wiz will probably have you remove the other one. Don't do anything yet, though. It's a bit more involved than just deleting a folder. Your boot.ini file will have to be edited to reflect the changes that will be made.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Your boot.ini should look more like this.

wannabe1

Advertisements

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
hmm...ok. Is this going to help me get rid of the other partitions???

*Also, is this the reason i cannot access my BIOS if i decide to reformat???

Edited by Lifein8one3, 09 February 2006 - 03:14 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The boot.ini only shows one partition...but 4 installations...in two folders. This is truly not an optimal configuration.... :tazz:

What it will do is get you down to one bootable system so we can take on a few other issues (such as some malware and corrupt files). Patience, no "click and grin fix" on this one.

I gotta get some sleep...the Wiz should be back on in a bit. I'll check back in later and see how things are going.

wannabe1

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
thank you, thats what i meant...other OS's not partitions. hehe

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Why cant i access my BIOS?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It seems that the update problem is only the tip of the iceberg in this computer. Have you done any OS installation after the update problem started? If not, is it possible that the numerous installations were lying there for a long time doing no harm?

Try a windows repair installation with your CD. It will not cause any harm, except for losing your windows updates which you will have to download again (provided the update problem is resolved). My feeling is that this computer is so messed up that a repair, if successful, will resolve numerous other defects.

Also, try to boot in safe mode. During the process you will see OS installations and will be asked to choose one to continue. Please report what you see there (number of installation, which is the default one).

Regarding not being able to enter bios: What key do you have to press to enter bios. Is this key operable or it might not be working. tap the key repeatedly, once every second or so from the moment the computer start booting. What happens, does the computer ignore the command and start loading windows?

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Im not sure. See...if u look at the boot.ini, it shows i have 4 installed XP OS's. Here is wat i do...

I turn the computer on, I get a black screen that asks me to chooses which out of the 4 installed XP's i want to use. Now get this...only one works. There are still old fiels from a LONGGGG time ago. I did a repair awhile back..so long icannot remember. Well, i choose the XP that works. Then it takes me to the loading screen. At wat point do i hit the key to go to BIOS? Also, i have no idea what the key is!! How can i set the key, and how do i find out wat it is??? Being that i have no warrenty...If i ask alienware a stupid question like that, they will charge me.

*If i am not mistaken...you must be able to access BIOS to boot form CD to begin a reapair... My computer wont boot from the CD and i cannot access the BIOS to change that...

Edited by Lifein8one3, 09 February 2006 - 04:55 AM.

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
ok i managed to figure out what the key was. I accessed the BIOS. Thanks. Leme do a reapair now.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What do you see on the screen immediately after switching the computer on? Is it a black screen that shows bios version on top, memory, disks etc or is it a picture of the manufacturer of the motherboard after which the XP selection shows up. When you are in the os scelection screen you are already byond bios. Regardless of what you see on the screen tap del or f2 or other function key repeatedly immediately after you switch the computer on. Different manufactureres have different keys to enter bios but the most common ones are del and f2. If these do not work, try f3, f9, f10, f11, f12 until you find the right key.

The 4 xp installations are weird and I fully agree with wannabe 1 about the need to put things in order. The thing is that the other installations do not necessarilly cause visible problems. My idea is to try to fix the one that works and if successful the repaired installation will assist in other procedures.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I wrote a long unnecessary post. Haven't seen your last one.

Advertisements

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
...umm ok?

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
to make things easier...i am just gonna try to reformat. I open command prompt...typed in format c:. It says am i sure bla bla...i say yes. Then it says:

Format cannot run becuase the volume is in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)

Then i choose yes. It then says:

Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use.

????Now i cant even reformat the comp??? What am i doing wrong??

Edited by Lifein8one3, 09 February 2006 - 07:25 AM.

Lifein8one3

Lifein8one3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Goin to restart in DoS mode. I ahve a feeling Windows is messing it up.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Before you do a reinstallation of Windows, make sure all your important files are backed up (pictures, music, documents, etc), since all will be lost by a reinstallation.

Next, make sure you have your XP key handy, whether it is on the CD case or on a sticker on the computer.

Now, here's everything you need for doing a reinstall, step by step instructions with pictures: http://www.theelderg...l_-_graphic.htm

If you need anything else, or if you change your mind, just let me know.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 09 February 2006 - 07:52 AM.