Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

550ft CAT 5e run !

• Please log in to reply

SBS_Runner

SBS_Runner

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,
My company has indicated they would like to run ethernet to the most remote corner of our 200,000sqft wharehouse. They also decided that it can be done with CAT against my wishes. The run consisting of several 150-200 ft cables linked by small powered hubs or switches to a centeral switch from which the local machines will be connected.

Is this reasonable or even possible. I do know convention of CAT and the 200ft line "suggested" limit.

My reccomendation was a wireless bridge with a signal booster or wireless access point to lite the wharehouse up but they prefer cable and such.

Just hoping for some opinions on the valididty of my companies idea or mine. More importantly is it even possible to run 600ft of CAT 5e in such a manner.

Thanks to all,

Zx

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's possible to run cat cable at any distance...what isn't possible is to transmit reliable data any farther than 300 feet...if they aren't willing to run fiber back to that area (which honestly...runing fiber from the server room to an IDF in that area would give you guys flexibility to add more machines back there)...then the repeater is your only option...a powered hub or switch will not boost the signal and therefore won't help

SBS_Runner

SBS_Runner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
THANKS for the reply!

Heres my last question of a sort and ill leave ya alone for a bit.

Does this sound reasonable:

router/switch to media converter-fiber run of about 600ft-media converter to hub to pc's
(trying to keep it cheaper and media converters are likt 55$ from tiger)

Thanks for letting me pick your brains :tazz:

Zx

Edited by SBS_Runner, 08 February 2006 - 02:54 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yup that's basically my setup here....got a switch with a fiber to cat converter to fiber to another converter to a switch

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as an adendum here...i believe you do have to have the fiber transmitters on both ends...not just the converters...

SBS_Runner

SBS_Runner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
uh...hmmm.

The converters i was looking at gave me the idea that they were all that was needed to convert a Cat5e signal to fiber but i could be very wrong!

they are little boxes that require a cat5e patch in and turn it to fiber out. These are the devices i was looking at if this helps:

TRENDnet - TFC-110MST - 10/100 Base-TX To 100 Base FX Multi-Mode TFC-110 SERIES Fiber Media Converter with ST Connector

or something like

TRT - CXL-32S1-20 - 10/100Base-TX/FX to SC Bridge Single-mode Media Converter 20 Km

Please let me know if im completely missing a piece in this puzzle!

Thanks for all your help!!

Edited by SBS_Runner, 08 February 2006 - 03:49 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've rechecked my setup here...and i was totally wrong...hahahaha those are all you need...i've got bigger fiber racks that just split the fiber and hold the ends for the connectors.

SBS_Runner

SBS_Runner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Cool.

Your excellent man, thank you very much!

**Already a member of the WWF but I will remember this when they call for donations again :tazz:

Edited by SBS_Runner, 08 February 2006 - 03:58 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if they do call you...could you request that your funds go to the guatamalan pirate monkey fund?

SBS_Runner

SBS_Runner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sure thing!