Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

desktop missing

• Please log in to reply

bluttrell

bluttrell

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Please help, i have a gateway 2000 at the preschool where i work. no internet. When i turn on computer it shows a prompt, i then type in WIN enter and it replies"you are running in MS DOS mode", do you want to return to normal mode and run windows 98? i hit enter for yes and it shows the window screen with microsoft window floating but then goes right back to prompt with the question again. How do I get out of DOS and back to windows. No start button, no menu, no taskbar. If i could get to Safe mode i would be able to work with some of the disks the children use for learning. Have tried changing first boot up to cd ROM but doesn't work. Is there any hope? thank you, Miss B.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try typing EXIT at the command prompt.

bluttrell

bluttrell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i tried typing exit but doesn't help me just goes back to the same cycle. <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sometimes with Gateway and a few other machines, when you go to MSDOS mode to play a game you cant get back. Here's how to get back manually.

Type this at the command prompt:
edit config.sys

Here in the config.sys you'll find a line reading

dos = single

This causes windows to run in msdos mode.
Delete the line saying dos = single. Now press the ALT key and the F key at the same time. The file menu will come down and you will see save. Use the error keys and move the highlite bar to the line that says save. Press the ENTER key.

Your not fixed yet...

Next, type: edit autoexec.bat

In the autoexec.bat file you will find these 2 lines.

call c:\windows\note.bat
call c:\windows\command.com

Delete these 2 lines. Now press the ALT key and the F key at the same time. The file menu will come down and you will see save. Use the error keys and move the highlite bar to the line that says save. Press the ENTER key. Now restart your computer.

Another step I prefer after all of this is when the machine gets back into windows find the icon on the desktop labeled msdos for games. DELETE THIS ICON by dropping it in the recycle bin.

bluttrell

bluttrell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
o.k. great! thanks, that got me out of DOS but windows taskbar, start button and folders and programs only show up on screen in Safe Mode. when i try to use a CD in the CDROM and click on the program it says" that the shortcut can't be found. files must have been moved or deleted." Can i reinstall programs in Safe MODE?? if so how? how comes they show up in safe mode programs but aren"t there? thanks for all the help so far.