Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with cooling

• Please log in to reply

philipwinfield

philipwinfield

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an XP3200 and have some serious cooling problems. The CPU is 77oC on idle and goes up to 90 sometimes on full load. Ocassionally the PC restarts and as I use the machine for work I am desperate to solve the issue.

I have a coolermaster vortex dream of which I can only say is nice & quiet. I have taken it off and applied some new thermal compund and then reset it but this has had no effect on the temp.

It seems to me that the cpu footprint is very small for the Athalon and so cooling is going to be tricky anyway. The big copper block only covers a fraction of the chip which is expossed slightly from the main AMD block. If it were in the same plane I am sure cooling would be a lot better.

Please can anyone come up with a recommendation? Is there a way I can increase the RPM of the fan as it just plugs into the fan socket of the motherboard currently and I can not see how to do this.

Many thanks to whoever solves this!

Phil

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Don't worry about the "footprint" this is the design and will work with your hs, I checked the specs and your good with it.

What type of paste did you use? There is the possibility of applying to much so double check the instructions on how to apply.

Make sure the hs is installed in the proper direction, it is possible to mount it the wrong way. The step on the hs must face were it says socket 462 and the hs can not be loose.

guide Please have a look at this guide.

You could also need better case cooling, to check remove the side cover of the case and set a fan near by blowing in to see if the temps lower.

Report back with your findings.

Rick

philipwinfield

philipwinfield

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Doby

Thanks so much for replying. I figured the small footprint was to blame and so removed the heatsink and applied new cooler master high performance thermal compound and then reseated it. The problem is exactly the same!

The sink is the right way around as the unit comes preassembled with the heavy copper heatsink sitting directly under the fan unit.

I just think this heatsink, despite looking flash and impressive is useless! It actually does the same job as an ancient old Pentium one which I have and which is noisy.

I don't want to go through this again and was wondering if there is an alternative someone could recommend that works?

Phil

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
AMD recommend you to use a thermal pad not thermal compound I build a lot of custom systems with the pad and never had any over heat problems. Do you have any case fans and if you do are they set to blow in or out ?
:tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi philipwinfield,

Just to be clear I meant the copper hs it self is rotatated 180 degrees, not the fan,if you look at the botom of the hs it will have a step in it this should face the part of the socket that says 462 if not it won't sit on the cpu perfectly thus affecting cooling.
Sorry if you already understood but just making sure.

I would take it off again and check this and use artic silver 5 thermel compound according to the instructions on thier website.

Those temps need to be low 40c's at idle and under 60c at full load for a stable machine. My temps with all amd builds are at or below these with a room temp of 70f/ 21c

As tazz1964 suggested you also need case fans blowing the correct way.

Rick