Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't play any of MY music!

• Please log in to reply

Bryner52105

Bryner52105

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: I have Windows xp. I have all the latest Windows updates. I have had this problem for a while. I did notice I had 3 trojans when I did a scan last night that were deleted using McAffe. Every audio file I posess on this computer will not allow me to play it. This box pulls up:

[

The Media Player I'm using - Securty Warning

Windows has found a problem with this file

Name: msaud.cab
Publisher: Unknown Publisher

This file was blocked because it does not have a valid digital signature that verifies it's publisher.

All of these were either purchased Or I burned them from personal CD's. Why is this happening? Are all of my files ruined? Or is this a "simple" fix. :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Bryner52105...

Open Media Player and click on "Tools" on the toolbar...choose "Options". Click on the "Privacy" tab. In the "Enhanced Playback and Device Experience" box, make sure that the check box next to "Aquire licenses automatically for protected content" has a check in it. "Apply" the changes (if any were made) and click "Ok".

Let me know what you find...

wannabe1

Bryner52105

Bryner52105

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The "Aquire licenses automatically for protected content" box is already checked. When I try to play my music media player will say. Opening media....sending request to server.....downloading codec: 0-100% complete when it is complete I get this message
Windows found a problem with this file

Name: msaud.cab

Publisher: Unknown Publisher

This file was blocked because it doesn't have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher. What is a digital signature?

If i try to play it a second time it was have a pop up that says
An audio codec is needed to play this file. To determine if this codec is available to download from the Web, click Web Help.
If i check the web it will try to download msaud.cab and it will then display the Windows found a problem with this file Message again.

So im still stuck with the same things

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Bryner52105...

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Under the "Hardware" tab, click on the "Driver Signing" button. Put a tick in the button next to "Ignore - Install the software anyway and don't ask for my approval". Click "Ok" then "Ok" to exit the open windows.

Now try to install the codecs WMP is asking for.

The digital signature means that it has passed testing for use with XP and has been granted a "key" to install automatically.

wannabe1

Bryner52105

Bryner52105

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok I chose ignore- install anyway and it still will try to downloading the codec and will pull up the same error messages still not allowing me to listen to it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmmmmm.... :tazz:

If you right-click on a music file (in the folder, not in WMP) what is the "Recommended program" at the top of the list when you click "Open with..."?

Bryner52105

Bryner52105

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It says the recommended program is Music Match Jukebox

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is that what you want as the default player? Or are you wanting to use Windows Media Player?

Bryner52105

Bryner52105

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I just want the music to play it won't play on any media player that i have on my computer. I keep getting that same message about the msaud.cab file

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you upgrade from ME and is it msaud.inf

Bryner52105

Bryner52105

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This machine has only had Xp pro installed on it.

Bryner52105

Bryner52105

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok I have it fixed now. I'd like to thank you for your help in this matter. I recently had a Trojan Virus so I guess it deleted some files that affected my music. I just ended up reinstalling Windows Media 10 and now all my music works so thanks.