Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop mic produces loud feedback

• Please log in to reply

DriAnn

DriAnn

• Pip
  • 8 posts
:) The in-built microphone on my Sony Vaio PCG-Z505FA produces scratchy feedback whenever I use it for online chat. Checked all settings, seems ok. Tried with external mic still the same. Does that mean the end for it or is there a simple way of fixing it? :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Feedback as you describe is usually caused by the input volume (the mic) being too high in combination with being in close proximity to the speakers. Move the mic away from the speakers or turn the input level down, or a combination of both.

DriAnn

DriAnn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

The mic is inbuilt, so definitely can't move it further from speakers. Tried with external mic but no difference.

As for input volume, I have adjusted it to a notch above minimum but to no avail!

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, anyway. :tazz:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You could try turning down the speaker volume, or using external speakers located away from the mic. The cause is as simple as I stated in my first post.