Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Standby

• Please log in to reply

crybaby

crybaby

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I don't know what's causing this but, instead of going to my screensaver after inactivity, the computer just kind of logs off and then back on. Can someone please tell me what to do to make it stop? It's really annoying!! Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does the monitor and hard drive turn off? then when you come back and press akey on the keyboard..it asks you to logg back in right?

right click on the desktop > properties > screen saver tab > power > then just chane the time for when the machine goes to standby (or tell it to never go into standby if you prefer that)

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I have tried that before but, to no avail. What happens is, the monitor goes black, then gets a message on it that reads "NO SIGNAL", and then the desktop resumes. While all of this is going on, the pc's power button starts flashing as well as the the cd-rom drives. If I have any programs running, or windows open, (IM, or IE etc...) I get logged out and then back in. Any other suggestions as to how to correct this problem?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got SP2

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I'm not sure. What is an SP2? If I know what it is, then maybe I can find out if I have it. Sory, I am computer illiterate!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go to Microsoft Update to check for any updates, there are a number of reasons from type of scanner, video adapter or using a 3D screensaver

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
This might sound kind of silly but have you checked the actual physical connection from the monitor to the computer? Might be loose or something. Just a thought.
-Pete.

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Will do. Thanks for your help. Keep your fingers crossed!

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Go to Microsoft Update to check for any updates, there are a number of reasons from type of scanner, video adapter or using a 3D screensaver

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Thanks so much! It worked, and now all my IM friends are cheering, instead of screaming at me! I appreciate it! :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know