Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Epson Stylus D88 on Win2k

• Please log in to reply

Claire_Andree

Claire_Andree

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
[size=2]
I have just purchased an Epson Stylus D88 printer. I have carried out the installation instructions, but I am having 'Device not recognized' appearing, thus it will not install. I am at a loss of what to do, as I have looked at the troubleshooting and everything is as it should be, switched on, usb connected as instructed. I have Windows 2000 professional, it is compatable with the computer.
I would appreciate any ideas.
Thank you

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Epson usually want the anti virus turned off, the printer connected but not turned on until it prompts during the driver install

Claire_Andree

Claire_Andree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly :tazz: I have dis-abled the sophosAV and still no joy. I followed the installation cd and this same message is appearing. The usb cable is 1 of 2 that i've tried, 1 of them being brand new. I've tried with printer switched off and then switched on when I follow the trouble shooting page and no joy. My Spyware and SAV are run twice weekly, kept updated the same.
Im wandering if there is something missing from my computer, as, I used to have a Canon S300 printer connected and that installed and worked fine for 3 years, but the printer head needed replacing, so I bought a HP Deskjet 5440, I had to return it as I could not get it installed no matter what I tried. I talked to HP on numerous occasions telling them the problem and they could not get it to install either. I need a printer at home,. so was advised to try an Epson printer, but I am beginning to feel it was not the HP that was the problem as I am experiencing similar insatallation problems with the Epson.
The Canon was a basic printer compared to the HP and Epson, it did not have Photo facility, just basic.
is my computer lacking some software that would make it install the printer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

System File Check will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

Click start then right click my computer, click properties then hardware then device manager, scroll down to the bottom of the list, click the + next to universal serial bus controllers, are there any yellow marks

Claire_Andree

Claire_Andree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks again :tazz:
I have done the sfc /scannow, system File check appears with the blue bar starting and then I have a window appearing saying ' files that are required to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability windows must restore original versions of these files' Please insert Win2k prof installation CD. I have a little problem doing that as I cannot find the installation CD for the computer. I can see if I can get one from the IT guy at work. He's in usually middle of the week.

Claire_Andree

Claire_Andree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
When you say I need the XP CD do I need to upgrade from Win2k. How good is XP I've heard there are problems with it and 2k is better that is why I've not upgraded yet.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
:tazz:

I see you have windows 2000................now :)

Sfc /scannow should work the same way for 2000, it replaces the system files, it could be a missing file which is stopping the installation of the printer

It asking for files is a good thing

Claire_Andree

Claire_Andree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I will get the CD from work next week and get back to you, many thanks for your help. :tazz: Don't think I can do anything else with it until then!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Not really, it will be better to have a go when all the system files are there

Claire_Andree

Claire_Andree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
When I have tried installing the printer and it has failed, I have gone into device manager and with the list of 4 - 2 usb hub, 2 usb controllers, there has been a exclamation mark in a yellow triangle and the writing printer at the side of it, under the usb controllers.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check you have uninstalled the printer software with add / remove and also deleted the printer from printers and faxes

If you right click each the USB with the yellow marks, then click remove / uninstall so both are gone, remove the USB leads from the back / front of the PC, which apply to those appliances, then reboot, windows will re-install them when it loads

Put the printer cable in, leave the printer off, install the software and turn it on when prompted, have the anti virus off when you do this

Claire_Andree

Claire_Andree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I uninstalled the printer from programs. Made sure the usb connections thru device manager were correct. I did as instructed, put the cd in, instead of using 'easy installation' I clicked on 'custom installation', followed the steps and installed everything thru that. By doing the 'custom installation', the Epson printer utility set up window appeared to tell me when to plug the printer and usb cable in. I was not receiving this using 'easy installation'. I was instructed that the configuration has been successful.

The printer is now fully loaded, but for some reason, it is still not printing. It has successfully printed a test sheet, but when we try to print anything else (a word document or a picture from the net), nothing is happening. We are getting the print format box (ie, how many copys etc) and when we are clicking ok, a status box appears. A blue status bar loads to 100%, the printer icon appears in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, but disappears after about 5 seconds and nothing prints.

We have looked on the Epson troubleshooting guide on their website, but can find nothing to help. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try to get the disc to run sfc /scannow then use epson e-talk to chat with one of their technicians

http://etalk.epson.co.uk/

I have 4 Epson printers and installing those is a game, you install one then unplug it to install the next one or it puts the drivers in the same place??

E-Talk is good as they usually stick with it until it's loaded and printing, and will hopefully know what it is straight off

Claire_Andree

Claire_Andree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Good news to report :) I have got the printer installed AND working. I am still going to get the Win2k CD from work this week to do sfc /scannow to get the files correct.

Thanks so much for your input, it has been greatly appreciated. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How did you install it