Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crashing, viruses, etc...

• Please log in to reply

Carys

Carys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Nope, they're all normal.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Please go back to the Event Viewer (post #7) and get me the event id (number under the Event heading) for the following entries?

Multiple errors-- Source: atapi-- The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Source: DCOM-- The server {DC0C2640-1415-4644-875C-6F4D769839BA} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Source: Service Control Manager-- The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

Source: Windows Update Agent-- Unable to Connect: Windows is unable to connect to the automatic updates service and therefore cannot download and install updates according to the set schedule. Windows will continue to try to establish a connection.

Carys

Carys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Oooops sorry. Here you go:

9 -Multiple errors-- Source: atapi-- The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.

10010 -Source: DCOM-- The server {DC0C2640-1415-4644-875C-6F4D769839BA} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

7011 -Source: Service Control Manager-- The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

7023 -Source: Windows Update Agent-- Unable to Connect: Windows is unable to connect to the automatic updates service and therefore cannot download and install updates according to the set schedule. Windows will continue to try to establish a connection.

There was another one in there, I don't know if it's relevant or not, but I'll include it just in case:

32003 -Source: IPNATHLP

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you changed any drives or cables just before this started happening?

The atapi error is the one I'm thinking is causing you the greatest grief. This can be caused by a number of things, including; bad cables or connections, failed cd-rom device, failing HDD, or failed or failing IDE controller.

The next time your system crashes, make note of the time. Start the machine back up and go to Event Viewer and see if there is an atapi error that occurs at the same time as the crash. Also note what you are doing at the time of the crash.

Carys

Carys

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Sorry, it usually happens while I'm away. :tazz: Ok, there were no errors when it happened, at all. And it seems absolutely random. And it can happen even when I close everything and put it on Stand By. Hummm I haven't touched any drivers or anything... actually, nothing's been touched at all.