Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection forces PC restart

• Please log in to reply

editorsteve

editorsteve

• Pip
  • 1 posts
For many months my PC (Windows 2000, usual MS stuff and assorted other programmes) has had a tendency to restart it self very shortly after I establish my broadband connection to my ISP (1Mbps connection via Thompson modem to Eclipse).

The sequence of events is roughly:

switch on PC
PC boots & Windows starts
log-on to windows with password
(if I don't connect to Internet there is never a restart problem no matter what)
start IE or Outlook
(no problem working off-line)
connect to my ISP
connection established
then anytime between about 10 seconds to about 3 minutes later PC restarts and reboots windows. Before it restarts there often is time to receive & send e-mails so the connection to the internet seems fine.

If I go round this restart cycle two or three times the PC stays on and is stable. Once stable I can connect & disconnect from my ISP at will & leave pc running 24 hour or several days without problem.

Sometimes having other aps open before I make first connection to my ISP seems to reduce the likelihood that PC decides to restart.

I regularly use Spybot Search & Destroy; XoftSpy to check what is going on. Also have McAfee. And unregistered copy of AdwareAlert. Have now got Hijack This.

Does this problem sound like malware or is some other effect at work? I discussed it with local PC shop & they hadn't got a clue.

Hope I'm not time wasting here.

Thanks in advance

EditorSteve

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

also
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

if you don't get a BSOD immediately...log into normal windows and try to recreate the restart