Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player 9 Cannot Play Files

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Go to c:\program files, look for sygate folder

delete it (uninstalls always leave pieces behind, especially user specific settings)

try reinstalling sygate now

Be very careful while training sygate on what to block and not to block

Advertisements

G Dogg

G Dogg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Let's check something in Firefox real quick.

Click "Tools" and then "Options". Click on the "Advanced" icon and then on the "View & Edit Actions" button near the bottom of the window. In the Download Actions window, click on WMV to select it...what program does it open with?

When I clicked the "Advanced" icon, there was no "View & Edit Actions" button.

However, in the Downloads section, there was a "View & Edit Actions" button. I clicked on WMV and it says that it opens with "Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Library."

G Dogg

G Dogg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Go to c:\program files, look for sygate folder

delete it (uninstalls always leave pieces behind, especially user specific settings)

try reinstalling sygate now

Be very careful while training sygate on what to block and not to block

I couldn't find any Sygate folders. It wasn't on c:\program files and it wasn't in there. I did a windows search for Sygate files and folders and found none.

Should I go to the Sygate site and re-download the files and reinstall them now?

As for what to block and what not to block, how do I know what to allow and what not to allow? Do I allow iTunes? All Windows Media Player requests? Services & Applications? This was the toughest aspect of the firewall and I don't want to screw things up this time.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
After you get the firewall installed, try to view the video and when the Sygate notification box appears, choose "Allow".

You can also configure the applications that have access to the internet by double-clicking the Sygate icon in the system tray to open the Sygate application window. Click on "Tools" in the toolbar, and then on "Applications".

G Dogg

G Dogg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

After you get the firewall installed, try to view the video and when the Sygate notification box appears, choose "Allow".

You can also configure the applications that have access to the internet by double-clicking the Sygate icon in the system tray to open the Sygate application window. Click on "Tools" in the toolbar, and then on "Applications".

Ok. I did that and it now works. I guess it was Sygate afterall.

This may sound like a really dumb question to you, but how do I know which applications to allow access to the internet? Any of them that ask for it? And, if so, do I click the "Don't ask me again for this application" button? I seriously have no clue which applications I am supposed to allow.

I've just run an online scan with both Housecall and Panda and they found no bad files or programs on my computer, so presumably my computer is squeeky clean. Should I just allow any application that asks to access the internet for good?

Sygate should come with an owner's manual with good and bad applications listed.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The only dumb questions are the ones that don't get asked... :tazz:

A good rule of thumb when "training" a firewall is simply this. When you open an application and a box pops up from the firewall, it's the application you are using that caused it. If you want that application to have unrestricted access to the internet, click put a tick in the box to "Remember" that setting and then click "Allow".

Each notification will state what application is trying to access the internet...if you are unsure, click "Block" but don't select the "remember" box. If you notice adverse effects, allow it the next time and select the "remember" box.

wannabe1

G Dogg

G Dogg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for the rule of thumb. I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks to you, wannabe1, and also to gerryf for all of your help! You both were a great help and I truly appreciate it.

If there's any way I give feedback or comments on the help you gave regarding the great job you both did, let me know!

Thanks again!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad we could help... :tazz:

Comments and suggestions are always welcome HERE.

Cheers!

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 10 February 2006 - 07:43 PM.